creative quinoa recipes?

Options
makinemjellis
makinemjellis Posts: 91 Member
I accidentally made WAY too much quinoa for my lunches this week. Looking for some creative recipes to use it in as I don't eat enough rice to just sub it in for that. Any suggestions are welcome :)

it's yellow quinoa, if that matters.

Replies

• Whey125
    Whey125 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Probably add to burgers, meatballs or make spinach quinoa patties; add to casseroles, soups and salads.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It makes a killer couscous. Simply make a couscous dressing and sub.

How about freezing in ziplock lunch bags? Then you can bring it out later. If you eat nothing but quinoa for two weeks you might end up hating it.
  • abcdcm143
    abcdcm143 Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Freezing it works great.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    This is one of my all time favorite plant based recipes. My wife and I worked hard in 2017 to be more plant-based and I do the cooking. She is a typical "meat and potatoes" girl that likes her starch, meat and vegetable for dinner so I knew transitioning to more plant based eating was going to be tough.

This recipe she and I both absolutely loved.

https://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/crunchy-cashew-thai-quinoa-salad-with-ginger-peanut-dressing/

I replace the Vinegar with Rice Vinegar and I add just a bit of fish sauce and lots more lime juice, but it's amazing. I mean, really good.

This is another staple at our house now. I add walnuts to it and buy the beets at Costco (they have this one brand that is pickled that is amazing). So simple but really great.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/220467/quinoa-beet-and-arugula-salad/
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Another vote for freezing! It's easy to cook too much quinoa. It's so tiny to begin with but grows and grows! LOL

I often cook too much "on purpose" and then put in serving sized containers for freezing.

One of my favorite ways to use quinoa is in a burrito style bowl. Mix with rinsed black beans, then add a bunch of veggies (peppers, spinach, arugula, zucchini), a little sauce or dressing, sometimes top with protein like chicken and/or fruit like mango or pineapple. Yum! I'll mix up the quinoa and beans and just keep in the fridge for several days, then make the bowl with fresh ingredients on top.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Quinoa makes a great greek salad: olives, grape tomatoes, spinach, red onions, some feta if you eat cheese and have the calories available and a lemon garlic vinaigrette.
  • moonetter
    moonetter Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I make a dressing, equal parts EVOO and lime juice with a little bit of cumin. whisk well then add to the quinoa. Chopped cilantro also, red onion and corn if you have it.
  • jennyma143
    jennyma143 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    this recipe is fantastic! you don't need to add the paste before cooking. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/213211/turkey-and-quinoa-meatloaf/
    I made this and I recommended it to one of my GI doctors I work with and he loved it too!
  • lisaepell
    lisaepell Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Quinoa with cut avocado and tomato with some lime juice. Or carmelized butternut squash with glazed pecans and craisins (one of my best Thanksgiving recipes).
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    jennyma143 wrote: »
    this recipe is fantastic! you don't need to add the paste before cooking. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/213211/turkey-and-quinoa-meatloaf/
    I made this and I recommended it to one of my GI doctors I work with and he loved it too!

That looks really good. We don't do much meat any more, but I do add quinoa to plant-based stuffed pepper recipe I do where I make the "meat" out of toasted walnuts, tomato paste and dates that I chop in a food processor. Add in corn and quinoa to parboiled peppers and top it with a homemade tomato soup and cashew sour cream to finish it. A bit complicated for this thread but the quinoa does add a nice "meatiness" to things like you mentioned.
  • makinemjellis
    makinemjellis Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much!
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Its a great salad addition or general side dish. Here is my favorite creative recipe.
    https://minimalistbaker.com/spanish-quinoa-stuffed-peppers/
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options

Just printed! That is going in the menu box.

• ClaudiaDawn2
    ClaudiaDawn2 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    This is one of my all time favorite plant based recipes. My wife and I worked hard in 2017 to be more plant-based and I do the cooking. She is a typical "meat and potatoes" girl that likes her starch, meat and vegetable for dinner so I knew transitioning to more plant based eating was going to be tough.

https://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/crunchy-cashew-thai-quinoa-salad-with-ginger-peanut-dressing/

I replace the Vinegar with Rice Vinegar and I add just a bit of fish sauce and lots more lime juice, but it's amazing. I mean, really good.

Mike,

That looks really good. A couple of questions though ... how many servings does this recipe make? Enough for 2 for two meals, etc? I know the recipe says "6 servings with each serving being 1/6th of the recipe" but that doesn't really tell me how much. And does it freeze well?
  • MikePfirrman
    edited April 2018
    Options

Mike,

That looks really good. A couple of questions though ... how many servings does this recipe make? Enough for 2 for two meals, etc? I know the recipe says "6 servings with each serving being 1/6th of the recipe" but that doesn't really tell me how much. And does it freeze well?

It makes a lot. I would say more like 6 large servings. I haven't tried to freeze to know, but I would say, for us at least, we like to hold off on putting the dressing on all of it because it seems to taste better freshly tossed with the dressing. Something about the quinoa getting a bit soggy the next day. I don't mind it but my wife doesn't like it leftover as well. I would say if you're going to try to freeze, let's say half, just don't put the dressing over that half. Not sure how long the dressing would keep though. Personally, I've never frozen quinoa but others on here have said they have with good success.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Just printed! That is going in the menu box.

Oh indeed. That looks amazing.
  • ClaudiaDawn2
    ClaudiaDawn2 Posts: 103 Member
    Options

Mike,

It makes a lot. I would say more like 6 large servings. I haven't tried to freeze to know, but I would say, for us at least, we like to hold off on putting the dressing on all of it because it seems to taste better freshly tossed with the dressing. Something about the quinoa getting a bit soggy the next day. I don't mind it but my wife doesn't like it leftover as well. I would say if you're going to try to freeze, let's say half, just don't put the dressing over that half. Not sure how long the dressing would keep though. Personally, I've never frozen quinoa but others on here have said they have with good success.

Good to know. Thanks.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite. I sub quinoa for the brown rice.

http://www.bumblebee.com/recipes/mediterranean-stuffed-peppers/
  • stinatown
    stinatown Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I made a modified version of these Black Bean Quinoa Tacos this week with some leftover quinoa I had. Instead of the broth and spices listed, I used a packet of pre-made taco sauce, which worked well. Instead of making tacos, I ate the filling from a bowl with greek yogurt and avocado slices--very satisfying!