Relief for DOMS?

Options
Bex953172
Bex953172 Posts: 4,067 Member
Anyone know the best way to relieve DOMS? (Delayed onset muscle soreness)
Worked out my legs in the gym and my quads are killinnnnng me!!

Replies

• lowededwookie
    lowededwookie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Cold showers. Many people pass it off because it's uncomfortable but it has many real benefits. There's a reason that athletes and other intense sports stars use ice baths after games etc.

My wife had a real bad headache once and we alternated between hot and cold shower on her neck and within a minute it was all gone and didn't come back.

It doesn't need to be very long. I usually use the last minute or two of my shower to be a cold shower. Has many many other benefits as well.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Try the foam roller.
  • Bex953172
    Options
    Try the foam roller.

I don’t have one, or know how to use one!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    A couple NSAIDS. And a walk.
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Drink extra water, ibuprofen, Epsom salts in bath followed by cold shower and walk.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,034 Member
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Try the foam roller.

I don’t have one, or know how to use one!

I made my nephew use a regular baking type rolling pin once. Do you have one of those? Put a towel over your quads, roll the roller up/down the quads slowly a few times, pausing briefly at any points that particularly feel more sensitive or lumpy-bumpy. Keep the pressure moderate, maybe just slightly beyond comfortable, but not truly painful. Vary the angle of the rolling pin to get various parts of the quad. You can use any cylindrical object that won't break. You can even use a tennis ball (it's just harder to control and takes longer) or a firm children's play ball.

Warm bath (with epsom salts if you have some) or gentle stretching may also help.
  • Bex953172
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Think I’ll be trying it all tomorrow lol!
  • BWA468
    BWA468 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Do some light exercise. It actually helps even if its the last thing you feel like doing
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    If you’re going to lift on the regular, invest in a foam roller!
  • bazman7323
    bazman7323 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    There's no proven way to reduce Doms. People in the know are still arguing about what actually causes it.

My process has always been to just get on with things. As long as its not an injury just go about your life and suck it up.

I also believe though that if someone believes something helps them it probably will (such as foam rolling, massage etc). Try any of the above suggestions and see if they work for you. You've nothing to lose.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    It’s only bad for a couple days, I have always just gotten on with life and done nothing. Rubbing the muscles feels good though.
  • LDBianca
    LDBianca Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The professional bodybuilders I use to train with swore by drinking pickle juice to reduce DOMS. I usually drink coconut water for the hydration and potassium but I do occasionally take a few swigs from the pickle jar :)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Walking and foam rolling are the only things that help me. Short of going for a sports massage.