So i start my new job but i love the closeness i had with my friends at my old job

Options
dniania
dniania Posts: 251 Member
edited April 2018 in Chit-Chat
No one in my age bracket works at my new job i work with older people now , 30+ year olds w

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I work with all women. And we are all separately busy so we don't talk. You'll have this. I don't like people so it's okay with me.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I work with all women, it can get two faced, back-stabby and bitchy sometimes. It's usually a lot of fun tho.

Age...I've worked with people 15 to ~70ish...it's the personality that and rapport you develop that matters.

Some of the best advice I ever got was from a 15 year old co-op student...it helps me all the time to remember it.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    You may eventually like it better, honestly.

I loved working with a big group women who were all roughly my age when I was around 30...and it was nice all having a lot in common. We did lunches, girls night, etc. But then after I got a new job, I realized they were really pretty freaking stressful to be around with their constant gossip, drama, whining about diets, kids, boyfriends or husbands, etc. I have a lot of female friends and I have stayed in touch with like 2 of those former coworkers, but that group was just drama ALL DAY LONG now that I've had a chance to step back...

Now I'm 41 (married no kids) and have been working for years with mostly guys and only one of them remotely close to my age at 37. Most of the rest are entry level in their 20s or supervisors in their 50s/60s. My boss is the only other female, she is one of the big shots and she's 56. We talk about stuff and have some things in common but both of us would rather read a book or leave early than gripe about our husbands or try to start drama. I LOVE not hearing about all that stuff I did at my old job. I get so much more done & it's more peaceful. No one ever calls me in the evening to talk about what so and so said/did...

Who knows.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You may eventually like it better, honestly.

I second this.

My first "grown up" job was a lot of people my age (early 20s), and there were many close friendships, but also a lot of drama. No one is really that close in my current job, but there aren't many issues amongst us. May be the lack of close connections, or that the average age of employees is about 15 years older and the workforce is much more varied.

I have found I still enjoy the down time with these people. The conversation does stay on a more superficial level, but I am fine with that if it prevents some of the bs that went on at my old job.