Does slow bulk = less fat gain?

Options
Do you gain mostly muscle when eating a small surplus or is the ratio of fat:muscle still 1:1? Say you only gained 2 pounds in a month. Would that be 1 pound muscle and 1 pound fat? If so, what is the advantage over gaining 4 pounds a month, 2 pounds muscle 2 pounds fat? Are your extra calories rationed to your muscles first and then everything after that is fat, or does your body distribute those extra calories to your muscles and fat evenly until muscle is maxed out and then shifts 100% to fat?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    As far as I know the ratio is still the same or similar, so while you gain less fat you gain less muscle too. On the other hand more gain doesn't necessarily equal more muscle, there is a cut-off where only so much muscle can be made and the rest will be fat gain. That is why it is recommended to keep the surplus under a certain level to reduce fat gains.

The benefit of very lean bulking (just a hair over maintenance type idea) is to gain but keep the bodyfat % down, the gain is more manageable.. eventually the fat gain can catch up let's say if you were bulking over a year or so, but it could be easier to deal with. That being said most people choose something in between because a very lean bulk is slow. It depends on your goals, your starting point and how much time you want to spend building.

I've done it both ways. With my second bulk I was gaining around a 1lb per month. I did this for 4 months and eventually got fed up because my progress was just too slow for my liking. Sure I stayed lean but I wasn't growing much either!

There is an awesome debate about slow vs faster bulks, I'm going to try to find the link for you.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Here is the full Bulking debate between Eric Helms and Mike Israetel

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZFIsCWnHiaI&t=1182s

And here is the summary video

https://youtube.com/watch?v=GTJqcKnTs5I
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Just want to note that in the quote by @SecantSix the 50/50 muscle/fat gain is for men.
    Women, under ideal conditions, have a gain that is closer to 30/70 muscle/fat.

(Sorry @sardelsa if that is in the videos you posted, on my phone so can't watch)

Cheers, h.

(I don't have the source, it was the answers I got from a trusted poster when I asked the question)
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Just want to note that in the quote by @SecantSix the 50/50 muscle/fat gain is for men.

(Sorry @sardelsa if that is in the videos you posted, on my phone so can't watch)

Cheers, h.

(I don't have the source, it was the answers I got from a trusted poster when I asked the question)

Honestly, I'd usually completely agree, but my actual results have yielded a more favorable ratio than that. I'm a 36yo female, not my first bulk. Have gained 10-12 lbs so far, and my bf % barely went up.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Cheers, h.

Honestly, I'd usually completely agree, but my actual results have yielded a more favorable ratio than that. I'm a 36yo female, not my first bulk. Have gained 10-12 lbs so far, and my bf % barely went up.

That's because those are averages. Men or females of age 40+ will gave significantly lower muscle gain on average than the numbers stated.

Also factor such as how male you are, how optimal your training is, how resistant you are to training, all these things are part of the cookie we eat.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Cheers, h.

That's because those are averages. Men or females of age 40+ will gave significantly lower muscle gain on average than the numbers stated.

Also factor such as how male you are, how optimal your training is, how resistant you are to training, all these things are part of the cookie we eat.

Now I want a cookie. Thank goodness for bulking LOL

True. I did a bulk while taking the pill once...total fat gain. This was by far my best bulk ever. Training, food, and mindset were all ideal.
  • middlehaitch
    Options

Cheers, h.

I think your results are so good because you are diligent, and on point with nutrition and training, probably way more than 80% of the time.

I would guess, given the opportunity (life has been crazy these last 18month) to train consistently again, I would be close, or less, than the ratio for women given my age.

It is a generalization, but worth pointing out as most of the muscle gain ratios are given for men. There is much less research available on women's muscle gain ratio as far as I know.

Congrats on your gains, you look soooo strong.

Cheers, h.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Cheers, h.

This meta-analysis by Greg Nuckols (https://www.strongerbyscience.com/strength-training-women/) may be of interest.

edit: TL/DR: doesn't appear to be a real difference between men and women.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Thanks for the link @TR0berts.

I do love you guys for always providing interesting things for me to read, and then think about.

Cheers, h.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    On further reflection, that refers to "relative" gains. As such, since it was noted that women generally start off with less muscle, a similar % of LBM gain might end up being 30/70 (or somewhat less than 50/50) after all.

I guess I really should dig into the studies myself. I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend.