Runners

Options
Maybe not the place to post this, still new.
But I’ve found a love for running. I lost 40lbs in 2 months with mostly running and diet (a few other exercises, but good portion running)

Well, I’ve gone through 2 pairs of shoes within those 2 months. Cheap Walmart shoes. I didn’t expect them to last long, but was hoping for more than a month.
I bought another pair for now. But I really want to find quality shoes that can hold up to frequent runs. I run daily or every other day. Usually 2 miles.
It’s just starting to warm up enough to run outside, but I’ll be running outside (recreational trail) and inside (treadmill). Of course I understand they won’t last forever, or super long given how much I run. But I’m hoping like 6 months?

Are there any shoes that don’t cost a super ton and last a little bit longer?
(I’m still in the obese category, and have fat feet, so need wide or extra wide. But also may start to lose weight in my feet, so don’t want to invest a super lot)

Replies

• justjara123
    justjara123 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Look for stores that sell old styles of sturdy sports shoes brands (Asics, Brooks, NB, maybe Reebok, Adidas, and Nike). Search for sale shoes (from original stores) and compare with your running needs. My first shoes were Frees and Lunarlons and I can still use them as regular walking shoes up to now. Good shoes are an investment to prevent injury :)
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I wear running shoes for three months. Then I retire them to work shoes (I'm a nurse) for another three months before tossing them.

I started running with a program from John Bingham's books because C25k advanced too quickly or me. I've been running a year now, and I've lost 97 pounds.

I think you need to be properly fitted, but some relatively inexpensive ones that used to work for me were Fila, skechers, and Reebok. But, I also scour clearance so have managed to score expensive brands for 30 bucks or less.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    decent shoes should last at least 300 miles.

gait analysis and getting fit for shoes is a good idea.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @anaair73 Poor shoes is a recipe for injury. Invest in quality shoes and they will last a long time and give you the support your feet/body needs. In the end 3/4 pairs of cheap shoes will cost more than 1 pair of good shoes.
    A wise Runner once told me Good Shoes are Cheaper than Physio Therapy.

I avg 600 ( road ) to 800 ( trail ) km out of my shoes ( $0.12 to $0.19/km ) before they start to give me warnings that they are starting to breakdown and could cause me a bad injury.

Find a local Running specific store and ask for a Stride Evaluation. Advice the store you are just starting out in running and they may have some of previous years models on deep discount that will give you a good shoe.

They should Video Tape you Barefoot on a treadmill then do a slow-motion analysis of foot strike/knee/ankle/hip alignments. A good store will then suggest several pairs /brands for you to try ( walk test - concentrate on Toe Room and Heel Stability/ heel lift ) Most people are wearing a shoe that is slightly small for running so don't be surprised if you are a full size bigger than you expect. Then pick your favorite out of the walk test shoes and go for a run on the in-store treadmill. Store doesn't have a treadmill LEAVE!!!! Check their return/exchange policy - quite often on previous years models they are discounted so its considered a final - no return - no refund sale. The most expensive shoe is not the best shoe for your foot/running technique. As you gain experience your stride may change which can result in you needing new shoes to match the new you.
    Try this link - How to Buy the Right Running Shoe

If you are new to running try one of the C25K apps ( couch to 5km ) that slowly increase your running time to allow your body to adjust to the new stress's you are submitting your body to.

^^This
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Depends how cheap you're looking for, but you can find a good pair of shoes for well under $100. It's helpful to look at holdover prior year models and other sale items.

That said, if you have to get rid of your Walmart shoes within ~120 miles (2 miles/day for 2 months), then don't be afraid of a slightly higher cost of entry. A quality pair of shoes should last you 300 miles or more. Even if you double the initial spend, you'll still save money.

Also, it's a good idea to keep your running shoes dedicated to running. You can retire them to all other duty once the cushioning breaks down and you get a new pair.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    How are you defining "a super ton" for price?

I wear Nike Air Pegasus, because they fit me well and feel comfortable, and pay $110 a pair for them -- but you can find them cheaper at a Nike outlet, although last season's model. I get about 300 miles out of them, so replace them three times a year or so.

If I were in your shoes (no pun intended), I'd go to a running store -- not Dick's Sporting Goods, but something like Fleet Feet, or a local store -- and have them fit you and look at your gait. I didn't do that, but I think I was extremely fortunate that I had an associate at the outlet who was willing to spend some time with me, and even luckier that the Pegasus actually worked and felt good.

Good shoes are still cheaper than injuries and PT -- plus, you'll be amazed at how much better running feels when you're not fighting the shoes.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    just getting started it's a good idea to splurge on shoes. running store will get you fitted for a good shoe. a good shoe lasts roughly 300-600 miles.
    c25k is a nice way to start. that's how i started.
    once you know what your feet need, then next time around you can by off season shoes
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Just curious... is it reasonable to expect shoes to last just as long for an obese person just getting started as they would a lighter, fitter, more accomplished runner?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Just curious... is it reasonable to expect shoes to last just as long for an obese person just getting started as they would a lighter, fitter, more accomplished runner?

240 lbs. I get 300-400 miles from my shoes.

Also wear an 4E shoe. although it's entirely do to the shape of my feet, most of my fat is Abdominal and Visceral.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Personally I'll get 600mi out of road shoes, and about 800 from trail shoes.

Also, in not a strong advocate of gait analysis. It has a place, but it's neither a panacea nor reliable.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

I think it depends on the shoe. Get something designed for the heavier runner (with cushioning and sturdy build) and they should last just as long. This is true even for lighter runners - My Vomeros last longer than my Pegasus. And my uber expensive racing shoes are shot at 200 miles.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    The expensive ones (over $100) last the longest and are the most comfortable. I love Saucony. Go to a running store and get fitted. You won't regret it AND they can suggest some more budget friendly shoes too.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I believe that getting my shoes at a running store was the best thing I did regarding exercise. I used to get shin splints. With a professionally fitted pair of shoes, I have had no ankle, shin, knee or hip pain. Hallelujah! The employee put me in one pair of shoes, watched me jog outside on the sidewalk, and then three more pairs doing the same. We narrowed it down to the two best pairs for me. I walked out of the store having spent the best $110 of my life. I was overweight when I started running with the Couch to 5K program. I am grateful that I was able to find some supportive shoes so I didn't get discouraged by injury.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Durability depends on the shoe. Hokas are extremely comfortable, but don't usually last as long as some other shoes. OTOH, I've had Merrill trail shoes that I use to hike in last 1000 miles. If you rotate more than one pair of shoe, they will last longer because they get a chance to dry out completely between uses.

A beginner can usually get by with a $110 everyday running shoe, while someone who is putting in big miles may need a $140 performance shoe. I wear the less expensive shoes for my shorter runs and the more expensive ones for my long runs and races.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Spend the money.
    Sore feet are horrible.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Just buying the cheapest shoes is not a good idea, but neither is buying a particular shoe because someone on the internet recommended that brand. You need to go get fitted for shoes at a running store. Running in shoes that aren’t appropriate for your body raises your risk of injury.

Let the salesperson know your budget. They’ll do what they can. However, I also have very wide feet, and so I was immediately limited to only a few brands that make shoes wide enough. Only one of those brands actually feels comfortable for me. I had a lot of foot pain and a nasty injury before I got proper shoes.

Also, it’s certainly not a given that your feet will get narrower. Mine did not after I lost 100 pounds, and salespeople I’ve asked didn’t expect that they would. However, your gait may change with weight loss and you may therefore need a different shoe.
  • kathleenneriducharme
    kathleenneriducharme Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've had good luck with Asics. Comfortable and affordable.