30 Day Splits Training Challenge

Options

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    @wezreeeee77 - I've been working on my handstand for two years!! My balance is OK, but my shoulder are shite. I stopped all handstand training back in Jan as I was having shoulder impingement issues, but I've recently started it back up again. Or course, I still can't get them to open up so I can't create a straight line between my shoulders and hips without bending my arms or back considerably. I was practicing this weekend bending one leg against the wall to try to get better aligned. After this challenge we should move on to a handstand one!
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Had a really good stretching session after leg day today. Did some elevated forward folds with a 45lb plate to really stretch those hamstrings. Making progress with both sides, but right side is still WAY behind. Pancake is looking better too. I can't tell if my knees are coming up though or if that space is there because my hammies are so big.

ll10jn4uy9uh.png

Ohhhh that looks like it feels so good!! Try bringing your feet in a little bit and see if you can get your knees to stay down... if not it's probably just the way you're built :) you don't want to hyperextend just to get them down.

• TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I've been keeping up with the daily stretching and split stretching. I think I am improving - even if splits aren't closer to the ground i can get my chest closer to my thigh when doing the hamstring stretch which makes me happy. It is the little wins thats keep me motivated to keep trying. I'll take a progress shot on Saturday I think.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i was stretching last night and realized my leg is closer to my head when reaching my heel for the ceiling laying on my back. i think last week my leg was perpendicular to the ground.
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    I don't know why, but in my mind I thought today would be the day my butt touched the ground on my left side. It wasn't. :tongue: I still have a couple of inches to go. LOL
  • TiisTitanium
    Options
    @mom23mangos - lol. That happens to me doing aerial practice sometimes. I do a few moves and think I am nailing it then I review progress videos and I look like a sack of spuds instead of a graceful artiste. Look on the bright side - where the mind goes the body soon follows.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    so true. i posted some videos on instagram of some basic circus stuff. we don't learn a lot of things in aerial yoga that is learned in circus so to do some advance things in aerial yoga we have to go back and learn some basic circus stuff and it's not pretty :wink:
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    Ugh, that's me with handstands. I think I'm finally in a straight line and I look at the video and my arms are still bent, I've got banana back and my legs are way over my head.
  • wezreeeee77
    wezreeeee77 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Hahaha @mom23mangos (also..this name..did you eat 23 mangos??) & @mbaker566 I am so with you on this! I was so sure I was close to this jigsaw yesterday and then looked at the photo and..wow..damn thats wonky and my face looks extra derp-y. BUT have noticed that posture is much better in holding "split" (I'm still no where near) positions. I need to take a photograph of the split-stretch to see if its any lower... and maybe if I can grab my heel yet! xxx

g6gcjynt842t.png

• TiisTitanium
    Options
    I had my splits class this morning and I think that the daily yoga and splits stretching is making a difference. Or it is just building up my tolerance for pain so I can cope better when I am pushing my limits.

A girl in my class got her first middle splits which was cool for her but then i got concrened about my own potential progress when she told me that it took her 3 years to get there. I want my splits in a few months not years!! I must remember to be patient.
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    @wezreeeee77 - my username is pretty funny once you get it. I am a mom to THREE Mangos. My last name is really Mangos.
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @wezreeeee77 - my username is pretty funny once you get it. I am a mom to THREE Mangos. My last name is really Mangos.

I had been wondering too!! Hahaha I always read it in my head as “23” but I had decided at some point you have 3 kids and call them your little mangoes or something lol not that far off I guess!
  • xelsoo
    xelsoo Posts: 194 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

I had been wondering too!! Hahaha I always read it in my head as “23” but I had decided at some point you have 3 kids and call them your little mangoes or something lol not that far off I guess!

Hahaha I had made some sort of idea in my head along these lines...finally I will read it properly! I love mangoes, wouldn't mind that last name at all :D

This past week I've been visiting back home and missed 3 days of stretching (at least not in a row). I'm so annoyed at having to admit it but oh well..I'm plowing forward. This week is supposedly the last of the challenge (not for me by the looks of it) but I still want to be able to see some good progress by next Monday. It's so motivational reading about your struggles and accomplishments (plus all your awesome lyra/aerial pics) that I feel like pushing myself more!
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    Oh, I didn't realize the challenge was over next week already. I was thinking the end of the month. For the first time, I truly feel like it's within my reach. I think by the end of the month I will have my left side for the first time in my life.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    I've been working on splits for years. some people get there easy and others never do. but this is the first few months i've been focusing on it i feel like i've made some progress. much closer in the air than on the ground.
    this week we worked on alien splits in my advanced class and walkover splits in my beginner class (and hip swivels ugh my stomach still hurts)

• TiisTitanium
    Options
    I often think that I might be one of those people that never will reach splits because I am naturally on flexible and my hips and legs seem to be designed different than a lot of other people, But doing daily yoga and splits stretches seems to have really helped even if it is just a mental thing rather than ability thing.

Handstand class tonight which hopefully will help a bit as well as apparently it is good for loosen tight hamstrings. And it is a lot of fun as well :)
  • xelsoo
    Options
    Oh, I didn't realize the challenge was over next week already. I was thinking the end of the month. For the first time, I truly feel like it's within my reach. I think by the end of the month I will have my left side for the first time in my life.

Technically it would end next week as I started the challenge at the very end of April (I counted the days yesterday to see how much time I had left lol), but yes, I mentioned in the original post that it would be easier to just make it for the month of May. (Plus I need to compensate those missed days :D)

@mbaker566 I googled alien splits and they look impressive! I'd love to learn walkover splits, if I ever get my splits that will be a cool next step.

I think I slightly pulled my left hammie this morning. I can open up further on that side and as I was warmed up I put slightly too much pressure on it without realizing. Now it feels really tense, let's see how it feels tomorrow and hopefully it won't be a setback.
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    xelsoo wrote: »

Technically it would end next week as I started the challenge at the very end of April (I counted the days yesterday to see how much time I had left lol), but yes, I mentioned in the original post that it would be easier to just make it for the month of May. (Plus I need to compensate those missed days :D)

@mbaker566 I googled alien splits and they look impressive! I'd love to learn walkover splits, if I ever get my splits that will be a cool next step.

I think I slightly pulled my left hammie this morning. I can open up further on that side and as I was warmed up I put slightly too much pressure on it without realizing. Now it feels really tense, let's see how it feels tomorrow and hopefully it won't be a setback.

Oh no! I hope not! Injuries SUCK.
  • mbaker566
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @xelsoo i don't actually have my splits but it still looks impressive

and alien splits can be done by bending the knee over the shoulder instead of keeping it straight

i'm all about the cheat. when i started doing aerial yoga i couldn't touch my toes

my stomach still hurts from the hip swivels.
  • xelsoo
    Options
    How has everyone been doing this week?

I've been struggling with a bad cold for almost two weeks now, feeling super sluggish and tired so I'm working out very little and tomorrow I get my period soo it's not getting any better.

I've managed to stretch (almost) every day except when I felt really sick. My left hammie is still slightly injured, I can't lift heavy or stretch too much on that side as it feels like something might snap. It's not too bad as I don't feel it during my day but it sucks cause that was my 'flexible' side and now it's been pushed back. I know I have to be careful and patient but still...I want my splits!

Anyway I know this post is a bit of a rant as I feel like life's in slow motion right now, but there's always ups and downs and everyone has their own struggles.

Let me hear about your week and your interesting aerial stunts! :)