Calculating maintenance calories accurately

Do I have this right.
Say I weigh myself today at 78kg and accurately as possible eat at 1800 calories a day for a few weeks. Then I reweigh and have lost 4lb.
Am I right in thinking that:
Maintenence = 4 x 3500 = 14000 calories
Then 140000 / no of days since original weigh in + 1800 calories
Thank you

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Over what time frame did you lose 4 lbs? Did you account for hormonal changes? Sodium, potassium and carb intake? Any changes in workouts?

Your formula assumes that weight loss is linear.
  • LJay89
    LJay89 Posts: 91 Member
    It's theoretical but say 4 weeks?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    It's more simple than that - you don't need to be so precise about your daily intake....

Calories eaten + 3500 cals for each pound of weight lost divided by the number of days in your sample period.

It's still an estimate, but a calculated estimate that takes your logging inaccuracy into account.
  • LJay89
    Over what time frame did you lose 4 lbs? Did you account for hormonal changes? Sodium, potassium and carb intake? Any changes in workouts?

Your formula assumes that weight loss is linear.

Well how would those things effect it? Currently I have no idea.

• LJay89
    sijomial wrote: »
    It's more simple than that - you don't need to be so precise about your daily intake....

Calories eaten + 3500 cals for each pound of weight lost divided by the number of days in your sample period.

It's still an estimate, but a calculated estimate that takes your logging inaccuracy into account.

Thank you.

What's your thoughts on 'assuming it's linear' and 'hormonal changes"

Given I want an average that I would work with over time and adapt acording ly I feel this might be overcomplicating something very simple?
  • LJay89
    LJay89 wrote: »

Thank you.

Given I want an average that I would work with over time and adapt acording ly I feel this might be overcomplicating something very simple?

My thoughts are that you appear to be trying to be too precise over something (calorie balance) that is variable daily, weekly, monthly, by the season....
    You don't need to eat to your precise maintenance every single day - that would be like a never ending restrictive diet (verb).

It's part of the mental/emotional switch from weight loss to maintenance to think long term not short term.

My advice would be....
    Pick a number, try it for an extended period, get used to your normal weight fluctuations and only react to trends rather than fluctuations.

Thank you! V.helpful

Just to clarify I don't think I need to concern myself with hormone fluctuations or things like that. Someone posted it above.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

Thank you.

My thoughts are that you appear to be trying to be too precise over something (calorie balance) that is variable daily, weekly, monthly, by the season....
    You don't need to eat to your precise maintenance every single day - that would be like a never ending restrictive diet (verb).

It's part of the mental/emotional switch from weight loss to maintenance to think long term not short term.

My advice would be....
    Pick a number, try it for an extended period, get used to your normal weight fluctuations and only react to trends rather than fluctuations.

Thank you! V.helpful

Just to clarify I don't think I need to concern myself with hormone fluctuations or things like that. Someone posted it above.

You're very welcome.
    Do take a minute to congratulate yourself on achieving your goal. :flowerforyou:
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member

Thank you.

My advice would be....

Thank you! V.helpful

Those things are why your precise math isn't going to be accurate. If you have lost 4lbs. in four weeks, eat a couple hundred calories a day more. And weigh yourself again next month.
  • LJay89

Thank you.

My advice would be....

Thank you! V.helpful

Those things are why your precise math isn't going to be accurate. If you have lost 4lbs. in four weeks, eat a couple hundred calories a day more. And weigh yourself again next month.

But unless I have extremely expensive equipment how can I accurate calculate how my hormonal changes over a month effects my calorie needs?

Same for sodium and potassium? As far as I am aware this would barely affect it given its a micronutrient? Unless you mean sodium retaining water? But given this is an average overtime that would even out.

As for carb intake - that is covered by overall calorie amounts? It doesn't work separately.

Finally. I'm not assuming it's linear but I think your suggestions would be to difficult to calculate and negligible...

Finally finally, (sorry there is more) calorie counting isn't 100% average - hence taking an average and adjusting as I go.

But if you can show me mathematically how these things will effect my TDEE then I am willing to listen.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited April 2018

Thank you.

My advice would be....

Thank you! V.helpful

But unless I have extremely expensive equipment how can I accurate calculate how my hormonal changes over a month effects my calorie needs?

Same for sodium and potassium? As far as I am aware this would barely affect it given its a micronutrient? Unless you mean sodium retaining water? But given this is an average overtime that would even out.

As for carb intake - that is covered by overall calorie amounts? It doesn't work separately.

Finally. I'm not assuming it's linear but I think your suggestions would be to difficult to calculate and negligible...

Finally finally, (sorry there is more) calorie counting isn't 100% average - hence taking an average and adjusting as I go.

But if you can show me mathematically how these things will effect my TDEE then I am willing to listen.

I think the point is that it's good to be aware of the fact that things you can't measure will influence your TDEE, and that's why it's impossible to pin it down with too much precision. Your own lived results over time will be your best guide. If your weight starts trending down, you need to eat a bit more. Up, a bit less.

ETA: The formula @sijomial posted seems like a good place to start. Maybe download a weight trending app, too.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Yes. Based on math that’s would be pretty close. Try eating that amount for a month or so and weigh again and see if you maintained.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    The easiest way to calculate it: how many calories were you eating per week to lose? and how much was your average loss per week?
    Example: If it was 0.5lb a week loss then you can add 250 cals a day to what you were eating at previously.