When did you know you were done ?

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    There's no such thing as the finish line.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited May 2018
    Ayup. I embrace it and have learned to enjoy the sux. Consistently having a sense of unfairness and self-pity, they can eat whatever they want and why me.. leads to throwing in the towel. That flies in the face of what we came here for. Maintaining a major weight releasing is the fight of a lifetime but I'm up always up for a rodeo. I think you are, too. Let'er buck. B)

I say weight releasing rather than weight loss because I have no intention of ever finding it again. I didn't bother with the forum for a couple of years but I've had some fun. I think it's helpful to smooth the rough corners off of one another. It's like sandpaper but still fun. Pleasure to meet you, CarvedTones.

Do you participate in any groups for maintenance encouragement. I noted many of the smaller groups dwindled after 1 or 2 posts. I surmise staying current with the tide is probably more fun. Keeps you on your toes.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Mari22na wrote: »
    Ayup. I embrace it and have learned to enjoy the sux. Consistently having a sense of unfairness and self-pity, they can eat whatever they want and why me.. leads to throwing in the towel. That flies in the face of what we came here for. Maintaining a major weight releasing is the fight of a lifetime but I'm up always up for a rodeo. I think you are, too. Let'er buck. B)

I say weight releasing rather than weight loss because I have no intention of ever finding it again. I didn't bother with the forum for a couple of years but I've had some fun. I think it's helpful to smooth the rough corners off of one another. It's like sandpaper but still fun. Pleasure to meet you, CarvedTones.

Do you participate in any groups for maintenance encouragement. I noted many of the smaller groups dwindled after 1 or 2 posts. I surmise staying current with the tide is probably more fun. Keeps you on your toes.

No small groups, just this main forum. One thing that helps is that since I have been more fit and active, I have taken up SUP paddling and joined a couple of local groups. The others in those groups only know me as a little guy who is reasonably fit. Somehow that is different from people who have known me a while and seen me go up and down before. It would be more of a failure; not sure if that makes sense.
  • aupston
    aupston Posts: 44 Member
    My initial goal was 5 pounds less than I was when I got married 20 years ago. I’m in the middle 50 age range wise.
    I’ve lost 80 pounds over the last year. Although I’m happy with that number I’m shooting for another 20 over the next year. I like the way clothes fit me now even though I’m still carry more weight around my hips than I want.

I’m not done per se but I want to Make this a more permanent lifestyle change and see where the weight-loss goes
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,679 Member
    edited May 2018
    traleen wrote: »
    Im 56 i dont think being size 4 or 6 is going to look anything but too thin. Anyone near my age that can relate ? Thanks
    Love what @SummerSkier said about BMI & clothing sizes just being numbers and not needing to make a final decision now.

I lost weight and at 63 was comfortable with my body. Then opiates (knee replacement) killed my appetite till I was too thin. There was zero fat on me. What used to be curves became drapes. Going without food for an hour made me dizzy.

If you don't know you're too small, then you probably aren't. If you're still losing and want to, just don't buy a new wardrobe yet. But if you're comfortable where you're at, then sweet! Be kind to yourself. :)
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    I'm smack dab in the middle of my "normal" bmi, which is 18-25. I'm 22, so I'm fine and dandy with that. This is the first time in many, many years that I can say I'm "normal". LOL!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited June 2018
    traleen wrote: »
    Im 56 i dont think being size 4 or 6 is going to look anything but too thin. Anyone near my age that can relate ? to, just don't buy a new wardrobe yet. But if you're comfortable where you're at, then sweet! Be kind to yourself. :)

Don't forget that size 4-6 is what was 12-14 years ago. Clothing size shouldn't play any factor into if you feel done. Once you are in the healthy BMI range, It should be where you FEEL and look the best, not shooting for a specific size or number.

Vanity sizing is out of control, so just because someone is a "size 4" doesn't mean they are too thin. 00 now is the same as a size 8 in the 1980s. I found that really eye opening when I read a few of those articles on it and the psychological aspect it plays into making people feel thinner than they are.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I'm smack dab in the middle of my "normal" bmi, which is 18-25. I'm 22, so I'm fine and dandy with that. This is the first time in many, many years that I can say I'm "normal". LOL!

I think it's strange how a lot of my friends and family members say "everyone wants to be as skinny as they can be" because it's not true. Some people LIKE being in the middle or even at the high end of normal because that is where they think they look best and more importantly, feel the best.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    4 years of weight loss was enough for me.
  • KrystinaMTL
    KrystinaMTL Posts: 1,338 Member
    Check this out...

See what you think :)
    https://www.smartbmicalculator.com/why-sbmic.html

It was a real eye opener for me...
  • CarvedTones

I think it's strange how a lot of my friends and family members say "everyone wants to be as skinny as they can be" because it's not true. Some people LIKE being in the middle or even at the high end of normal because that is where they think they look best and more importantly, feel the best.

Science is supporting the idea that near the top is healthier, meaning improved odds for a longer healthy life. For the elderly, the numbers seem to indicate that 26 is actually best (not by a huge margin). I am around 24 now and don't want to go lower than maybe 23.5, but definitely will not allow myself over 25. I will turn 60 later this year.
  • CarvedTones
    Check this out...

I like this calculator. :)
    • "Your weight is at the level that, in our view, should be optimal for health. "
  • KrystinaMTL
    KrystinaMTL Posts: 1,338 Member
    Check this out...

• "Your weight is at the level that, in our view, should be optimal for health. "

I know right !!!
    What a breath of fresh air.
    And the explanation is great too.
    I personally liked the phrase "losing more weight and getting to your target weight will not make you healthier" or something along those lines.
    I mean come on, right !!!

Perspective...
    :blush:
  • CarvedTones
    I am at 24 BMI, so I am not unhappy with the standard ones, but they just say normal or even high normal instead of optimal.
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Check this out...

I know right !!!
    What a breath of fresh air.
    And the explanation is great too.
    I personally liked the phrase "losing more weight and getting to your target weight will not make you healthier" or something along those lines.
    I mean come on, right !!!

Perspective...
    :blush:
    Love all of this. I saw this calculator many moons ago, and it supports what I believe. The BMI does not take into account many factors, including age, and body build. Many athletes would be overweight or obese on the BMI due to their muscular bodies. It has never worked for me, and my doc agrees. I am 5'0" tall, very tiny from the waist up, and super muscular from the waist down ... at my smallest and youngest, the BMI said I should be 95-100 lbs. At a Petite size 2, I weighed 110 at age 16. My muscular legs alone probably weigh a good 10-20 lbs. of my weight. So, for me, this Smart BMI works better, but actually I have never used that as a goal. As someone said before, how you look, how you feel, how fit you are, and how happy you are is very individual and what works for each of us is what counts. Almost 3 years in maintenance and pleased with all those things, so just do what works for you.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    I like this calculator. It is saying I am healthy & don't need to lose (because of my age, lol), but my BMI is still 26, so I think I need to lose some yet. I would like to be under 25, too.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I totally understand. I'm 61 and I finally just couldn't lose anymore. I wanted to be 10 pounds lighter but at my age I figured I was close enough. My doctor was satisfied 20 pounds ago so I decided I was fine. I'm 5'5" tall and weigh 145. Sure I would still like to be 135 but I'll settle here. As it is my daily calorie limit is about 1400 I can't imagine being any lower for life.