Toning up - how much / how long to see results?

Options
Hi, I am almost at goal weight and would like to get a more toned body. I have reasonable fitness from running, and I recently started LesMills BodyAttack classes, which are joyfully excruciating.

My question is: How often should per week should I do it? (I assume that once a week isn't enough). And how long to see any results? I have no ambitions to bulk up, but a bit less wobble and a bit more strength would be nice.

Thanks, guys!

Replies

• tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    There's only one way to put on muscle. You gotta lift. Heavy.
    It's hard to say how much muscle you need to put on to lift the lose skin, but I had to put on a lot and I found that the more I put on muscle, the leaner my body looks.

Been at it for about a year now.
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    There are really too many factors at play for anyone to give you a realistic estimate; how often you do the workouts, what specific exercises are you doing, how much effort do you put into them, if you're still eating at a deficit or maintenance or a surplus and how much of one, how genetically predisposed you might be to putting on muscle or building strength, what your own expectations of "results" means etc etc etc

Go by your own body. I think 3-4 times a week is a reasonable amount of times to start with, like any exercise. If it's too much then scale back, if you aren't seeing the progress you'd like in 3-4 weeks then make them more frequent?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    The key to changing your body composition will be progressive resistance, adequate fuel and lots of patience and consistency. It is not a quick process, body changes can take months or more for many. Strength gains can happen more quickly if you follow proper programming.

You may want to check out this thread on recomp for more info

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • shroodle88
    shroodle88 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I know it will take time. Im peone to injuries so might try with 2 times a week for now. What you say about strength before visible results makes sense. Thanks also for the link! Will have a look. Im trying to work up the courage to even go i to gym and weight lifting territory as ive always been more of a running yoga person. :-)
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i have seen lots of people come through the gym and if they are consistent with 3 days a week doing some kinda progressive fitness program (not just fumbling around), i start to notice changes in them at around 8 weeks. And at 3-4 months, its really noticeable.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    shroodle88 wrote: »
    Thanks guys! I know it will take time. Im peone to injuries so might try with 2 times a week for now. What you say about strength before visible results makes sense. Thanks also for the link! Will have a look. Im trying to work up the courage to even go i to gym and weight lifting territory as ive always been more of a running yoga person. :-)

Getting a few sessions with a PT may be useful so they can teach you good form