What does lifting "heavy" mean to women?

123457»

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,867 Member
    This is heavy for me.

Machine Bench: 3 x 8 @ 61 kg
    Machine Row: 3 x 8 @ 83 kg
    Shoulder Press: 3 x 8 @ 31 kg
    Lat Pulldown: 3 x 8 @ 51 kg
    Leg Press: 3 x 12 @ 91 kg (have previously done a little more, but my knees don't like it)

I got a neurological disease in 2011 which has affected my balance. It's not safe for me to squat, lunge or deadlift.

Those weights look great! You're doing the right thing by sticking to the machines. Safety first!

Thanks. I need to stick to machines because it is not really safe for me to carry plates and dumbells from the rack to the bench anymore.
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Heavy lifting usually means compound barbell movements, as heavy as you can 3-6 sets of 3-6 reps.

For ME, 5'9", 165lbs, heavy lifting is:

Squats: 3x6x115lbs.
    Bench: 3x6x115lbs
    Shoulder Press: 3x6x85lbs
    Deadlifts: 2x6x175lbs
    Pendlay Rows: 3x6x85lbs.

Tag for reference - THANKS!!
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    I see many women claim to lift heavy, and I am just curious what exactly this means?

[caveat, not reading 123 responses so far]

The same thing it means for men, I'd hope - lifting with sufficient intensity and volume to disrupt homeostasis and induce muscle and strength growth. For beginners, this typically it means a fewer reps with a weight closer to your one-rep maximum. For more advanced lifters, it means a periodization program where 1RMs go up weekly or less through a progressive overload and recovery.