Starting at the Gym

Options
Hi all, I need your advice. I am thinking of starting at a gym and have no idea where to begin. It's only a small one and has a cross trainer, walking machine, stationary bike and weight machine thing. What would be the best way to start? Usually there is no body else there so I can't ask for advice.

Replies

• little_miss_very_bad
    little_miss_very_bad Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I was the same as you when I first started going to the gym - didnt know which machines to use for how long etc. Luckily at the gym I go to there is always someone there, and I booked in for a consultation where they find out what your goals are, and work out an exercise plan according to your needs and habits which was brilliant. They also give general advice on eating and review your progress after so many months. Maybe it may be worth finding another gym where you will get some support from staff - it also motivated me to keep going when the novelty started wearing off too lol!

Good luck with it xx
  • bloblynda
    bloblynda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    In the UK (but probably not in Thailand!) there is a health & safety obligation for new members to get familiarisation training on the equipment. I think, for losing weight you will need to concentrate on the cv machines - the treadmill, crosstrainer * bike. Personally I hate the bike because it leaves me feeling saddlesore! Try the treadmill for twenty minutes at a brisk walk, then as you get fitter raise the speed and run for longer. THis way you can actually see how fit you are getting. set yourself small goals, such as "next time I will do 7kph for twenty minutes" then "next time I will do 7.5 Kph for 20 mins and so on. before you know it you will be doing 10Kph for 60 mins!