Keto help

Options
2»

Replies

• brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Keto is more of a lifestyle choice than just a diet. If you only plan on doing it for a week or so, you will most likely be disappointed. I've been doing keto for just about 2 months now. I've lost 12 lbs. But for the past 2 weeks the scale has barely moved (Google "keto whoosh"). This has not deterred me, though, because my clothing is continuously getting looser even without the scale moving. Also, I feel better than I have in ages, and have tons more energy.

Benefits of eating this way include getting rid of sugar cravings and keeping blood sugar under control, balancing hormones if you have metabolic issues, and feeling satiated because of eating more fat than with other diets. Also, just because of the nature of the plan, it reduces the amount of processed and preservative-laden foods you are eating. If you find yourself constantly craving bread, pasta, or sweets, or get "hangry" between meals, keto may be a great option for you.

Keep in mind, you are not likely to lose a hugely significant amount of weight in a single week, and most of what you do lose in that week will be water weight. So of course, if you go back to eating normally, the weight will come back.

Furthermore, if you have dark urine, that is not always a sign of kidney problems. It happens when you are not drinking enough water. Barring that, it can also be a sign of high blood sugar.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    So i have a couple questions regarding keto
    1) How long is it until most people use fat as energy aka ketosis.

People use fat all the time for energy. Those in ketosis use fat most of the time and for most things (except some fuel specific parts like RBC's). One can be in ketosis most of the time within a day or two depending on activity level and carb intake. Fat adaption, where the body comes to prefer fats and ketones, takes a few weeks to momths.
    2) If I plan to go 1 week keto and then quit, will weight and possibly fat come back?

Water weight will. If you ate like you did before losing weight and while gaining, then you will gain again.
    3). Is keto diet bad if you have kidney problems like dark urine. Like for me personally i only get dark urine when i get sick aka cold or flu

Keto is safe for most kideny problems. Fat is not hard on the kidneys.
    As stated earlier, dark urine usually means dehydration.
    4) how should i quit a 1 week keto diet? Foodwise aka carbs

It doesn't really matter unless you are low carb due to insulin resistance (in which case don't eat many carbs) or you need ketones for a health issue like mental clarity or treating reactive hypoglycemia.
    5) Is keto reccomended when approaching exams at school

I wouldn't do it close to an exam. If you want the benefits of mental clarity, switch a couple of months early. You can also use coconut oil, or MCT oil, as your daily fat because that will raise ketones without being in a ketogenic diet.
    6) Whats the ideal time people should be using keto diet ?

For health issues, or they like it, or because it helps control appetite and cravings. I fit all three so I've been ketogenic for a few years now.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I love keto, but it's definitely not magic or some miracle diet. I've done keto on and off for the last 2.5 years. And I do still do CICO while on it. The best thing about it for me is that I tend to eat more real foods - fresh meats, veggies, berries, fats like avocados and coconut oil. I also stay full on it longer. I do lose weight fast once I start, at the same time, once I stop I gain weight (water weight) just as fast. The main reason I do it is because it really helps with my migraines and with joint inflammation. I find that once I cut out a lot of carbs, these conditions improve a lot! I'm currently doing a low carb (~100g carbs) regimen to help with my migraines and joint flare ups, but may do keto if I need more help.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    No one has seen OP's other thread where he decided to NOT continue with keto.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10662408/3-day-keto-result#latest
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    No one has seen OP's other thread where he decided to NOT continue with keto.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10662408/3-day-keto-result#latest
    Oh my...
  • deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 10,985 Member
    Options
    Ideas anyone? I have been on Keto since Jan 11, 2018. At first my glucose numbers improved so much that my PCP took me off of half my meds. However, for the past month it has crept back up and remains over 200 in fasting and also before meals (about 4 hours after lunch) is consistently almost 300. I do have a cheat day (or cheat meal) about once every 7-10 days when I go out of town, but I have done that since the beginning (it does seem to reboot my metabolism). However, my glucose numbers stay high even when I am not near a cheat day. My weight is still slowly dropping (I am now at 200.8 lbs). Does anyone have any ideas as to why my sugar improvement suddenly reversed? Any help is appreciated.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Nothing magical about Keto.

But in keto isnt your body using fat as fuel? But then i am contradicting myself because a caloric deficit makes your body use fat as fuel. So could you like guide me through? Like is keto a more extreme version of just calorie deficit? Because in a normal calorie deficit, your body still relies on carbs but when that 500 calorie deficit is present, does your body use fat as fuel? Or muscle?

Food = fuel. Keto is a high fat diet, so yes your body will use fat as fuel. By the same token, someone who is eating carbs will use carbs as fuel.

Eating at a calorie deficit causes your body to reach for fat stores. This calorie deficit can be reached eating high carb or low carb. High fat or low fat.....because weight loss is calorie in vs. calories out. Keto has not been shown to protect lean muscle mass (during weight loss) than other diets.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Ideas anyone? I have been on Keto since Jan 11, 2018. At first my glucose numbers improved so much that my PCP took me off of half my meds. However, for the past month it has crept back up and remains over 200 in fasting and also before meals (about 4 hours after lunch) is consistently almost 300. I do have a cheat day (or cheat meal) about once every 7-10 days when I go out of town, but I have done that since the beginning (it does seem to reboot my metabolism). However, my glucose numbers stay high even when I am not near a cheat day. My weight is still slowly dropping (I am now at 200.8 lbs). Does anyone have any ideas as to why my sugar improvement suddenly reversed? Any help is appreciated.

@deepwoodslady
    There are a few things that raise BG:

Stress
    Lack of sleep
    Reduced exercise
    Increased snacks (tends to keep BG and insulin higher)
    Eating too much
    Not enough insulin

If you are eating very few carbs and your numbers are that high, then you may not be making enough insulin for your needs anymore. You may need to inject insulin.

But more likely, if you are getting BG numbers that high while eating very low carb (for those numbers, I would try to eat fewer than 30g of carbs a day - closer to zero could be the better way to go) then your liver is making ridiculous amounts of glucose. You probably need metformin, or more of it. It reduces the glucose created.

I would double check your carb counts. A meal of 10g of carbs, from leafy or green veggies, should not raise BG to 300g. :(

I would skip your high carb days too. There is no need to reboot your metabolism (although I understand a quick loss after that would be motivating) and you may be doing yourself some damage. Those who are ketogenic tend to develop a mild physiological insulin resistance that lasts a day or so after reintroducing higher carbs. Unless you are burning those carbs off immediately through intense exercise, you are probably/possibly raising your BG to unhealthy levels for a day a few times a month. That could set your BG levels back by a few days. It might not be worth it.

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Nothing magical about Keto.

But in keto isnt your body using fat as fuel? But then i am contradicting myself because a caloric deficit makes your body use fat as fuel. So could you like guide me through? Like is keto a more extreme version of just calorie deficit? Because in a normal calorie deficit, your body still relies on carbs but when that 500 calorie deficit is present, does your body use fat as fuel? Or muscle?

A calorie deficit does make a body use fat as fuel. People losing weight without keto simply consume fewer calories than they need, get enough nutrients to stay healthy, and experience fat-burning part of the day or week. People losing weight with keto consume fewer calories than they need, get enough nutrients to stay healthy, and experience fat-burning for larger parts of the day or week.

Losing weight causes both fat and muscle to diminish. Eating the nutrients you need and using your muscles during your weight loss time will minimize the muscle loss, but cannot eliminate it. These bodies stubbornly will operate as they operate and we don't have the say-so to make it not so.