How do ppl lose weight from weight watchers

Options
I heard they do only diet and got a point system how do food addict get convinced by it?

Replies

• womanlady
    womanlady Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The same way anyone loses weight, ever.

They take in less food than they burn off. Weight Watchers is just one way of tracking and controlling your consumption. For some people it works great, but like any program, it only works if you adhere to it.

But why do people want to do it with weight watchers?? I heard it's expensive too
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Some people value the support from the meetings and the leaders. Some people feel more "accountable" if they have someone else weighing them in every week. Some just want a tested program that they can follow that will teach them about nutrition, and Weight Watchers is at least one of the healthier ones that tries to do it through a diet rich in fruits and vegetable and exercise.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    womanlady wrote: »
    The same way anyone loses weight, ever.

They take in less food than they burn off. Weight Watchers is just one way of tracking and controlling your consumption. For some people it works great, but like any program, it only works if you adhere to it.

But why do people want to do it with weight watchers?? I heard it's expensive too
    It's an organized system with copious advertising. Some people like physically interacting with others who are also trying to lose weight and the weigh-in/social aspect can push them to stay more compliant with a calorie deficit. Weight Watchers is the best, easiest method for some people. Cost may not be a factor if you find success with a system.

Calorie counting used to be hard because that information wasn't readily available. Counting points was easier and gave a good ballpark about calories and serving sizes. With today's technology and nutrition labeling laws making free calorie counting so much easier, Weight Watchers has changed their method multiple times to try to add value to their system.

Freestyle, IMO, is both too restrictive and not restrictive enough. That's quite a feat. However, there will be a subset of people for whom WW Freestyle is just restrictive enough without feeling restrictive.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Counting points is like calorie counting shorthand. For some people its easier to remember "I have 16 points left" than "how many hundreds". The trade off is you have to use their app or your memory to figure out the points. Calories? Flip over the package, check the menu, or maybe use an app.

And as mentioned the support is helpful, as certain emotional or psychological food related issues that can't be addressed through simple calorie counting are often discussed in WW meetings. So is very basic nutrition, including activity in a practical way, and meal planning.
  • roxybeer
    roxybeer Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I lost 55lbs on WW in 2005 because it was easy. I had 25 points to eat and I knew what my usual foods would cost me. I didn't have to think about it at all. There are a lot of reasons to use WW and there are a lot of reasons to use something free, like MFP. As long as it works for YOU, what does it matter?
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Organizations like Weight Watchers work because they provide structure, accountability, drive consistency, and provide support.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options
    I think WW is a good way of losing weight in a nutritional balance, for those who like their method of measuring,accountability, planning - and I can understand how the social aspect and real life interaction motivates some people and some people enjoy that.
    So, for them,the cost is worth it.

For me, it wouldn't be - I don't find calorie counting hard and I don't have time for meetings and I don't need personal interaction to motivate me.

But everyone isn't me.