Adverts on MFP Portal

Options
I've been using MFP for a couple of months and it is really working for me to lostea few KGs that i haven't been able to before.
I think the site is brilliant and the forum really supportive.

However, I am less than impressed with the adverts that continually appear in the portal. They often feature ludicrous before and after pictures and are so unrealistic it's not remotely believeable. The latest one to catch my eye promises "the loss of 10lbs of belly fat in just one week by following one simple diet rule!". I'm guessing that you have to pay to find out this amazing secret. I'm also guessing that it then just won't work.

This goes against everything else posted on this forum about sensible and sustainable weight loss.

Does anyone else agree?

Replies

• Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure but I think I read somewhere in another post is that these advertisements is what keeps MFP a free site. I can tolerate it to keep it free.
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    I'm also going to assume the advertisements keep it free. I'm a Pro member at another nutritional site just like this. It's only $5/m and no ads, but this site has all of the same features as the Pro, for free. I'll take that $5/m and throw it on my CC debt or something useful!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Ads = Free site = Free MFP

The ads are by Google based on keywords we use in our conversations etc., trust me the ones nowadays compared to even a few months back are far better than the oddities we used to see. lol

After awhile you won't even see them at all, they'll just blend in as color. lol Some are interesting and amusing and many of click on them in support of keeping this site free. Are the ads true? Suppose it depends on the ad, right now I have Free Nokia phone ad with service. Probably really gonna happen. :) Someone earlier yesterday had donuts in their ad, yup, probably you can really buy donuts too. Are there bogus ones? Probably but they are everywhere on on the Net and for an awesome *FREE* site like MFP it's worth a little extra added color to keep it that way in my book.

:smokin:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    dang it! double post:grumble:
  • buggaboo73
    buggaboo73 Posts: 169
    Options
    Yes, it is ironic the kind of ads we get, but as others have said they ads are what fund the fees for the site and keep it free for members so......just try not to look :wink:
  • jonathan35
    Options
    Agreed that the ads are worth it to keep MFP free. Just wondered if anyone else caught the irony of the content!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Agreed that the ads are worth it to keep MFP free. Just wondered if anyone else caught the irony of the content!
    most definitely!:laugh: