Washing your romaine lettuce won't eliminate E. coli

Options
vegmebuff
vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
edited April 2018 in Food and Nutrition
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/medical/washing-your-romaine-lettuce-wont-eliminate-e-coli-—-heres-how-to-minimize-your-risk-during-the-current-outbreak/ar-AAwiH4D?li=AAggV0S

"Because of that ongoing outbreak, officials from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) say people shouldn't eat romaine lettuce unless they're absolutely certain it was not grown in the region of Yuma, Arizona. If you've got mixed greens and aren't sure whether they include romaine, it's best to toss those as well, according to CDC officials."

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Just finished my romaine. No ill effects so far.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Guess what I'm having for lunch?
  • jgnatca
    Options
    You are taking your life in to your hands @quiksylver296 . Do a full risk assessment.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    You are taking your life in to your hands @quiksylver296 . Do a full risk assessment.

Crunchy delicious romaine mix with carrots and cabbage, topped with shredded green salsa chicken. Totally worth the risk. ;)

If I die, OP can tell me "I told ya so." :*
  • andy_dad
    andy_dad Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I ain't afraid of a little e coli! Bring it!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    We ate five bags of leafy romaine at home before we found out about the recall and yet here I am telling you about it.
  • bduanemyfitness
    bduanemyfitness Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Why am I reminded of The Devil Wears Prada...
    "One stomach flu away from my ideal weight"

E.coli is pretty scary. I will keep to my current plan of losing 0.5 lbs per week.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Spent a week in hospital thanks to e-coli. Not something I'm particularly keen on repeating...

Enjoy your romaine :naughty:
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    I feel like I should add...

On my grocery order last weekend, WalMart subbed my romaine out for iceberg due to the recall. This weekend they gave me romaine. So, I'm pretty certain I don't have recalled romaine.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont eat romaine lettuce anyways.

i do spinach most often or if i think i have to have lettuce, green leaf lettuce or red leaf lettuce

slightly higher nutritional values (i believe and even if not i just like it better) as opposed to romaine or iceburg
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    I just finished my salad. I'll let you know in a few hours.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I just finished my salad. I'll let you know in a few hours 3 to 10 days.

It takes a while to manifest, I believe. That said, odds are still heavily in your favor. I think 50-60 people have gotten sick and that's of thousands and thousands eating romaine lettuce each day before the CDC began recommending that people throw it away.

My husband insisted on finishing his romaine and he's fine so far.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I think if you buy your romaine locally or from a chain, your risk is pretty minimal. The contaminated stuff comes from a specific area in Arizona, and will have been removed from grocery shelves already as soon as the recall was established. I'm still eating romaine from the locally grown section of my Safeway, and have no qualms about it.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I switched to spinach greens for now.. nice variety on my evening dinner salad.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    E coli can pop up anywhere and on anything tho,I was watching Forensic files the other night and there was a case of it making kids sick from Odwalla apple juice,the Jack in the box hamburger outbreak back in the day,more recently cilantro and try getting sprouts at restaurants anymore,can't really be on guard with everything all the time
  • jgnatca
    Options
    There was an E. coli death in our province this week. It was tracked back to a private abbatoir.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I feel like I should add...

On my grocery order last weekend, WalMart subbed my romaine out for iceberg due to the recall. This weekend they gave me romaine. So, I'm pretty certain I don't have recalled romaine.

I work for one of the Walmart distribution centers. They are quick about pulling any recalled products. If it does get out of the warehouse the store should pull it off the shelves I don't know how quick the stores move though.
  • bazel25_99
    bazel25_99 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I threw out a three pack or romaine hearts the other day. The brand was Bonipak. I looked up where they have farms and they have 2. One in California and one in Arizona, Yuma to be exact. Part of the year, they pick from CA, and the other part AZ. This information was on their website, not on the package. Alas, no romaine until this is over. I'll get some spinach or arugula instead. Maybe I'll plant my own.