Pre-workout question

Courtscan2
Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
edited April 2018 in Food and Nutrition
Hi all,

I do my workouts first thing in the morning, and give myself about 5-10 minutes from the time I roll out of bed until I get started, as I need to be done before my kids are up at 6ish. So not a lot of time fitting any pre workout meals in there. Usually working out in a fasted state doesn't bother me, but I've been going a lot harder in the resistance training, and am starting to feel like some fuel in my body would really help. I can't actually eat anything, as solid food in my stomach 5 minutes before I workout would make me feel sick, so wondering if anyone has any suggestions regarding pre workout drinks of some kind. I've look at pre workout supplements, and they look WAY more intense than what I am looking for here - I'm just after a little energy to get me through and give me my (normal, not fasted) strength in a hurry. Im in Australia, if that makes a difference - US brands of things are unlikely to be available here.

Oops meant to post this in fitness category - guess it kind of fits here as well?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Drink 8 oz's of Poweraid/Gatoraide or similar at bedside, should be enough time to have positive effect.
    Doesn't even need to be cold, closed container ready to go on waking.

It's only your blood sugar that is low.
    Your muscles have plenty of glucose stores in them for the workout (as that can't be put back in the blood stream for anything anyway), merely the mental state to use them strong.

Or have a later snack at night so blood sugar isn't that low in the morning.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    I agree with the above. Drinking a sports drink or some juice will put some calories in your body for energy but won't upset your stomach.
    Pre-workout is just caffeine, something with some additional added supplements. You can get the same caffeine from coffee or another caffeinated drink.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    So, you can't eat anything because you'll feel sick, but you want to eat something so you have some energy? Hmmm...

Are you willing to get up a little earlier so you can eat?

If not, then I guess I'd suggest something small in volume but high in sugars... a piece of toast with jelly if you want "breakfast food" or a glass of OJ. Otherwise, something like jelly beans are really easy/convenient.
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    edited April 2018
    I like the idea of juice. Personally I bought the v4 from myprotein and I sometimes take 1/4 serving before my workout. Any more than that and I just get anxiety and can't work out at all..

I would recommend calories and not caffeine though. But sometimes a little waker-upper is nice too
  • HarveysBud
    HarveysBud Posts: 420 Member
    Coffee works well for me.

• LiveInLeggings
    LiveInLeggings Posts: 222 Member
    edited April 2018
    I can't eat before working out either. I'll make it a point to eat dinner late the night before I plan on a heavy lift day then have either coffee or pre-workout on my drive to the gym.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    coffee, juice, gatorade, milk
    i sometimes take a teaspoon of peanut butter with a slug of milk, ooooor a spoonful of ice cream
    you could try a GU or other items runners use to avoid hitting the wall. gummy bears are popular. I like honey stingers as it's easy on my stomach which is pissy to start
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    How about a date or two? That’s my mid morning snack quite often. I just need a wee little something for my blood sugar to get me to lunch.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,967 Member
    I've been finding that a BCAA can be useful for when you're doing a fasted workout - in my research, it's about the only thing they are good for, but since adding them to my workout water, I do find I get through my workouts with less fatigue.

I don't like sugary drinks (or the crashes that come with them) and there's no way I'm eating anything first thing upon waking up.