Just ate year expired protein bar, and there’s worse....

Options
pinggolfer96
pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
edited April 2018 in Food and Nutrition
Just curious on your opinion, just ate a one bar birthday cake flavor that expired in March of 2017, what issue do you think could happen regarding the length of this expiration other than quality?? I also have a box of the original quest cookie dough bars unopened before their recipe change....they expired 2016....thoughts?? Lol don’t want them to be wasted

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Expired @livingleanlivingclean .....
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I would eat one and see
  • kpsyche
    kpsyche Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I have that same protein bar here but with Australian nutrition and other labeling and it says "best before" and looking at the ingredients they all seem fairly "stable" and unlikely to spoil apart from possibly not tasting as good
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    a year out of date....! well you'll soon know if its done you any harm, you'll be running to the loo!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Oils or nuts in it might have gone a bit rancid, but other than some gastrointestinal distress you'll probably be fine.

If it's any consolation I had almond milk with my breakfast that said "Enjoy by 23 February 2018". It was fine. You won't see me trying that with cow's milk!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I found this about granola bars on Still Tasty. I imagine packaged protein bars are similar. If it was stored properly and still sealed and looked smelled and tasted okay you are probably fine yo eat them.
    How long does a package of granola bars last? The precise answer depends to a large extent on storage conditions -to maximize the shelf life of granola bars, store in a cool, dry area.
    Properly stored, a package of granola bars will generally stay at best quality for about 6 to 8 months.
    After opening package of granola bars, leave individually wrapped bars sealed.
    Are granola bars safe to use after the "expiration" date on the package? Yes, provided they have been properly stored and the package is undamaged - commercially packaged granola bars will typically carry a " Best By," "Best if Used By," "Best Before", or "Best When Used By" date but this is not a safety date, it is the manufacturer's estimate of how long the granola bars will remain at peak quality.
    Storage time shown is for best quality only - after that, the granola bars' texture, color or flavor may change, but in most cases, they will still be safe to consume if they have been stored properly, the package is undamaged, and there are no signs of spoilage (see below).
    How can you tell if granola bars are bad or spoiled? The best way is to smell and look at the granola bars: if granola bars develop an off odor, flavor or appearance, or if mold appears, the package should be discarded

http://www.stilltasty.com/fooditems/index/17290
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Meh. I'd eat it.

I suspect it will be much harder than it would be fresh, and that's about it.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    It’s probably not delicious but otherwise safe.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I think it is fine. I ate expired quest bars that were months expired back when they changed the formula and I stocked up buying the old formula lol.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I've also consumed plenty of expired protein bars, many years past the expiration date. I think it's more of a guideline that they're required to post that guarantees freshness, it shouldn't kill you. ;P In fact, I don't know how old they are but I believe I still have a box of unopened Quest pumpkin pie protein bars in my room o:
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I've eaten expired Quest bars. The flavor was a little less potent and the bar was slightly harder than usual. Nothing bad happened though and I have a very, very sensitive stomach.
  • Healthyhunny231567
    Healthyhunny231567 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    My OCD hates this thread. It hates it sooooo much. I have actually thrown something away at 12:01 am on the expiration date before and THAT WAS A MINUTE TOO LATE!!

You will be fine. I would be halfway to the hospital to get my stomach pumped but you will be fine.

Yesss! This is how I feel lol.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    The outcomes range from nothing to instant death. Roll 2d10 and use the table in the GM manual to calculate your HP loss.

Kitten I rolled a 1.... critical failure!
    Onto the real subject. There are enough preservatives in those bars they could almost outlast a Twinkie. I think you are safe my man!