When to eat when going to the gym?

Options
So my husband & I just got a gym membership, but I'm worried about when we will be able to eat dinner. We both will be getting home around 6. We will change clothes, take our dogs out & then leave. Should we eat before or after the gym? My husband said we should eat like a protein bar before & dinner after, but I'm afraid that's too late.

What do y'all do?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What makes it "too late" and what negative thing do you expect to happen if you eat past this time?
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    So my husband & I just got a gym membership, but I'm worried about when we will be able to eat dinner. We both will be getting home around 6. We will change clothes, take our dogs out & then leave. Should we eat before or after the gym? My husband said we should eat like a protein bar before & dinner after, but I'm afraid that's too late.

What do y'all do?

Its actually carbs b4 working out (for the energy) and protein after (to help repair muscles faster).

I go to the gym 3 or 4 nights a week from 6-7 PM and eat about 7.45 PM. Late is relative.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I workout first thing in the AM and only eat a banana. You can eat whatever snack you want before; I don't think I could workout on a stomach full of dinner. I eat dinner around 8pm usually and it's fine. Why do you have issues with eating later?
  • micheleb15
    Options

What do y'all do?

Its actually carbs b4 working out (for the energy) and protein after (to help repair muscles faster).

I go to the gym 3 or 4 nights a week from 6-7 PM and eat about 7.45 PM. Late is relative.

It actually doesn't really matter to be honest.
  • Majda1234_wechange
    Majda1234_wechange Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My workout is 8-9 pm or 9-10 pm so i eat dinner around 10 or 11pm and have no problem maintaining my weight with it. I just wouldn't suggest having carbs( bread, rice etc) but some boiled vegetables with lean protein (fish, chicken etc) would be ideal. But overall it is calories in, calories out.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Dont sweat the small stuff.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym after work, get there about 6:30 p.m., stay until 7:30-8. I eat after I get home, because trying to digest while working out heavily = vomit.

No thanks.

No such thing as "eating too late".

Calories in vs calories out.
  • srenea9
    srenea9 Posts: 142
    Options
    I workout first thing in the AM and only eat a banana. You can eat whatever snack you want before; I don't think I could workout on a stomach full of dinner. I eat dinner around 8pm usually and it's fine. Why do you have issues with eating later?

I have already heard bad things about eating 2 hours before bed. Not sure if it really matters. lol But I'm guessing not, so I shouldn't be worried then. I think if we were to go to the gym after work We should probably get back home around 10?
  • micheleb15
    Options

I have already heard bad things about eating 2 hours before bed. Not sure if it really matters. lol But I'm guessing not, so I shouldn't be worried then. I think if we were to go to the gym after work We should probably get back home around 10?

It's just a personal preference of when you want to eat. Just out of curiosity, you said you get home at 6, why are you getting back around 10pm? Is the gym far?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

If you sleep fine on a full stomach then there's nothing wrong with eating before bed.

I would really base your meal timing decisions primarily on your lifestyle and preferences, and also on your training needs. If you perform better by eating something before you train, you should do it (and if it makes it worse, don't).
  • cb_peroxide
    cb_peroxide Posts: 2 Member
    Options

You should eat if you are hungry; however, i would keep it small. I do recommend going to the gym right after work. Get a small bag with some gym clothes, and a lock to lock your stuff at the gym. You should about 30 mins before you work out because you will not have the energy to push. I cook my meals ahead of time and put them in tuba ware. Microwave your dinner before going to the gym. You'll see a differences.
  • csanner
    csanner Posts: 5
    Options
    Based on the research I've been doing on managing your macros it doesn't really matter. Eat what you're supposed to; and the once completed, stop. But you must know your Macros...
  • USMCnetty90
    USMCnetty90 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Hi-
    When I first joined I had posted a thread about eating after 7 pm - the bulk of the answers were it doesn't matter how late you eat as long as you stay within your calories/macros...
    as a person who grew up with the cardinal law being never eat after 7pm and breakfast is the most important meal of the day - its still difficult for me to eat late... but I know that I need to fuel my body so I try not to sweat it.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Onthe days I go to the gym, I go right after work and have either a banana or a power bar of some type (lately a KIND bar - http://www.kindsnacks.com/) about 30 min before, then eat dinner after. The class I enjoy is at 7pm and by the time I shower and get home, it's 9pm-ish. I don't like to eat that late, but as long as you're under your calories, it should be fine. I go to bed around 11:30pm.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat. What matters is that you're not starving at the gym though... I'd have a good snack around 5pm, if possible (I know I can't really workout if I've just eaten either, but working out when hungry sucks). Then a lighter dinner.
  • JDingmanSr
    JDingmanSr Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I eat right before I go to the gym, I find I have more energy for my workout and then I have a protein bar and a banana after my workout.

JD