Trouble getting enough protein

Options
Hey everyone, I'm new here.
Anyways, I started a program a few weeks ago to gain muscle and kinda "recomp" (I think that's the right word) because I have a "skinny-fat" physique. I look skinny, but I have some far covering my abs.

So the program is going pretty well, but the problem is, I am having a hard time getting enough protein into my diet.
The plan recommends 150 grams of protein a day. But this morning, after eating 3 eggs and drinking a post-workout protein shake, I'm only at about 75 grams of protien.

Anyone have any good ideas on how to eat more protein? Thanks everyone!

Replies

• LiveInLeggings
    LiveInLeggings Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Tuna, cod, chicken breast, cottage cheese, egg whites, deli meats.....
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    Well, 75g is half of the 150g that you're targeting -- so, if you eat a few more times today at tat level, you should be able to hit your protein goal and then some...

If you're worried about going over on calories, using egg-whites to replace one or two eggs can get ya most of the protein without all the calories of a whole egg. This thread has a great list of protein-rich foods organized by caloric "cost", that I've found quite helpful for focusing in on higher protein content foods:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10244142/list-of-foods-with-highest-protein-calorie-percentage
  • BenTheurich
    BenTheurich Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Most people get the bulk of their protein at dinner. What have you planned for dinner? 150 grams also sounds a bit overkill.

To be honest, I don't know. I live with my parents still so I don't plan the meals.
  • BenTheurich
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Well, 75g is half of the 150g that you're targeting -- so, if you eat a few more times today at tat level, you should be able to hit your protein goal and then some...

If you're worried about going over on calories, using egg-whites to replace one or two eggs can get ya most of the protein without all the calories of a whole egg. This thread has a great list of protein-rich foods organized by caloric "cost", that I've found quite helpful for focusing in on higher protein content foods:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10244142/list-of-foods-with-highest-protein-calorie-percentage

Ok thanks! Like I said before, I don't have a ton of control over what meals there will be still today. There might be a lot of protein, or we might have pizza and then there is basically none.
  • NerdyFlex
    NerdyFlex Posts: 1,672 Member
    Options
    You should eat the grams of protein equal to your goal body weight. So if you want to weigh 170, eat 170 grams of protein. It’s not overkill, because you need a surplus of protein to build muscle while working out. As far as sources, chicken, protein powder, peanut butter, fish, nuts are my go to.
  • NerdyFlex
    Options
    If the goal is gaining muscle, you have to also have a caloric surplus. Gaining muscle while losing weight is virtually impossible
  • BenTheurich
    Options
    NerdyFlex wrote: »
    You should eat the grams of protein equal to your goal body weight. So if you want to weigh 170, eat 170 grams of protein. It’s not overkill, because you need a surplus of protein to build muscle while working out. As far as sources, chicken, protein powder, peanut butter, fish, nuts are my go to.

Yeah my goal is 150 lbs. I haven't been eating much fish, that could help.
  • NerdyFlex
    Options
    NerdyFlex wrote: »
    You should eat the grams of protein equal to yo
    ur goal body weight. So if you want to weigh 170, eat 170 grams of protein. It’s not overkill, because you need a surplus of protein to build muscle while working out. As far as sources, chicken, protein powder, peanut butter, fish, nuts are my go to.

Yeah my goal is 150 lbs. I haven't been eating much fish, that could help.

I feel you though man! I’m a college student and I don’t really have tons of time to meal prep. I too have struggled with getting protein. I would seriously recommend protein shakes and grilling lean meats bc it keeps everything simple!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I'm new here.
    Anyways, I started a program a few weeks ago to gain muscle and kinda "recomp" (I think that's the right word) because I have a "skinny-fat" physique. I look skinny, but I have some far covering my abs.

So the program is going pretty well, but the problem is, I am having a hard time getting enough protein into my diet.
    The plan recommends 150 grams of protein a day. But this morning, after eating 3 eggs and drinking a post-workout protein shake, I'm only at about 75 grams of protien.

Anyone have any good ideas on how to eat more protein? Thanks everyone!

You're half way there after 1 meal, what's the big deal? What are you eating the rest of the day?
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Take the time to make your own breakfast and lunches then eat whatever is for dinner in line with your macros/calories. Top up with protein shake etc if necessary
  • mpsmiller64
    mpsmiller64 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is high in protein and easy to sneak into your meals. Buy the plain and add the fruit or keep out to replace things like sour cream. Also, you can add protein powder to things like pancake batter, even cookie mixes to add protein, if you can have the carbs. If you want 150/day and plan on 5 meals (3 + 2 snacks), you need at least 30gms per meal. You could double your meat portions for lunch/dinner as long as they are lean meats and not salt/nitrate laden.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    plus: turkey sausage (microwaveable), milk, peanut butter.... I'll have a big protein shake to supplement dinner if needed.
  • connorjcairns1999
    connorjcairns1999 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Follow the if it fits your macros plan buy when choosing a food priorities protein always make sure it's at least 1:1 protein to carbs ratio that way you should be good because it's easy to get carbs and fat in Ifact your low
  • gadudeg
    gadudeg Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I’ve been drinking protein @10am @3pm 8pm and Casin right before bed. With eating a little bit extra at meals I can easily hit my target. I thought it was overkill till I gained 10 pounds in 3 weeks. I’m not sure what your goal is but I want to put on weight as a “hard gainer” turns out I wasn’t eating enough.
  • ricka1962
    ricka1962 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have trouble hitting my protien goal while trying not to go over in total calories or carbs (I do really low carb). If you're looking for tips/tricks I keep a carton of egg whites in my fridge and add them to my shelled eggs (with yolks) or protien shake. 6 table spoons gets you an extra 50 calories with another 10 grams of protien. Canned tuna or sliced deli meat is also another way to get in some protien in between meals.