Aiming for a sub-20 min 5K. Would any women like to join me?

Options
This summer my running goal is to finally achieve a sub-20 min 5K! My best time is 20:09, achieved six years ago when I was in amazing shape and before I had kids. I would love to trade workout ideas, tips, and thoughts with any other ladies who have either worked to achieve this time or would like to try with me! (No offense, guys, but I'd like this to be a woman-only group.)

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Have you looked for local running groups? The Y and running stores often sponsor them. Good luck!
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm not looking for local running pals, just people to trade ideas with.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I'm not female and I'd like the a sub-20 5k, lol. Good luck - that's an impressive time.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    If I was 6 years younger I probably couldn't still do this. But good luck, come back and tell us if you do it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    boehle wrote: »
    Heck, I just want to be under 30 minutes LOL

Yep!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    My best when I was younger was 26 minutes, 28 was my best in the last 2 years.

Currently 37.5 minutes

I don't think I can join your challenge :D
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I kind of plod, I guess. My best 5K time was 34 minutes. I applaud you for your goal - you're almost there!
  • Ebony_Kitty
    Ebony_Kitty Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am around 23:45 for a 5K. Looking to get below 23:00. I have heard and have been training using fartleks. That seems to be making an improvement. I need help with my form- videos show I lean back when I run. I’d love to hear what helps others move closer to the 7:00/mile pace.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Agreed on Fartleks as a great strategy. I have yet to get below 25 minutes though... lately more in the 28 range due to competing priorities...
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of trail running, which forces me to modify my pace a lot. Also, I try to add random speed moments or sprint whenever I go up a hill.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    This is a true challenge for an accomplished runner! I hope you get there.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I'm not running competitively any more, but when I was, I did a combination of longer runs for endurance (10+ miles), speed work at the track, and 5k pace runs.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I'd love to make it to 30 min. Currently at 38ish
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I'm male but it's my goal. PB of 21:20 when I was a skinny 132 lbs. I need to get back there and beat that
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I ran a sub-20 minute 5k, but it was awhile ago. I was marathon training and did a combination of long runs, tempo runs, and track work. The last 5k I did was just over 24 minutes, and it hurt!

Good luck!
  • hcolligan
    hcolligan Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    boehle wrote: »
    Heck, I just want to be under 30 minutes LOL

Same!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    My best when I was younger was 26 minutes, 28 was my best in the last 2 years.

Currently 37.5 minutes

I don't think I can join your challenge :D

I got a 2018 pb this morning of 35.14 :D
  • hungrywombat
    hungrywombat Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'd love to get under 25 mins one day! Sub-20 minutes is incredibly impressive, go you! Fartleks is a great idea, please share if you find any other useful tips.
  • Megg82
    Megg82 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    @TheLaser what’s your time frame?
    I’m up to the challenge but my current personal best is 26 mins. I’ve been interval sprinting and then running some light jogs on low intensity cardio days. Just ran 5K for the fun of it last weekend and 26 was my time. Not sure if I can get sub 20 any time soon but I’d love to try.
    I’ve been doing some interval training including strength and noticed it did make a difference in my pace.