28 pound weight gain

mcgriffdd
mcgriffdd Posts: 3 Member
I quit smoking and began eating a snack to fight the urge. Originally I used eating just to replace picking up a cigarette but ended up gaining weight. My first week was very dramatic 7pounds. I love it because I have been thin all my life and was actually considered underweight beforehand.... I would like a good exercise routine that doesn’t require me to lose the weight I have obtained

Replies

• mcgriffdd
    mcgriffdd Posts: 3 Member
    I would like help with exercising but I don’t want to lose my weight gain in the process

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    What goal are you looking to accomplish with exercise?

You will not lose weight if you are not eating in a deficit. So eat at TDEE or above and no worries about losing weight as it would be impossible unless you had cancer or some other health issue.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    mcgriffdd wrote: »
    I quit smoking and began eating a snack to fight the urge. Originally I used eating just to replace picking up a cigarette but ended up gaining weight. My first week was very dramatic 7pounds. I love it because I have been thin all my life and was actually considered underweight beforehand.... I would like a good exercise routine that doesn’t require me to lose the weight I have obtained

Any exercise you like. Exercise doesn't default to losing weight. If you don't eat enough to maintain with exercise, you will lose weight.

I've been in maintenance 5 years and exercise 5 days per week...mostly cycling and lifting. I simply eat enough to maintain my weight.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Exercise in and of itself does not cause weight loss. That's determined by how much you eat or don't eat.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    I find it helps to log my exercise on here and eat back the calories
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    What do you hope to gain from exercise? As others said above, exercise alone will not cause you to gain weight if you eat more calories to compensate for any burned. There are lots of ways to estimate how many calories various exercises burn, each more or less accurate depending on the exercise. But without knowing a goal beyond "don't gain weight" it's hard to recommend anything specific. Personally, I run for cardio and mental health benefits, lift weights for strength and to maintain muscle and bone density, and stretch for flexibility and relaxation. I also enjoy doing all these things so it doesn't feel like a chore - there are other options available for each of those goals.