Bio impedance scales?

Options
Hi all,
My beloved tanita scales have gone mental and are telling me I’m 30kg and 5% body fat. This is a drastic change from yesterday and I’m inclined to not believe it, so I think it’s time my emaciated butt went shopping!
I’ve actually been really happy with my tanita scale and I think it’s had a good lifespan (is 6 years with no maintenance a good lifespan?) so would be happy to buy the same again, but figured I’d ask around for what else is out there.
Features I want: weight, hydration, body fat, met age, muscle mass. If it incorporates a smoothie station and a massage bed - even better!

*if you’re about to reply that a tape measure/a mirror/how I feel deep inside/how my clothes fit are a better measure of progress, bio impedance measurements are one step above plucking numbers from thin air, or any other incarnation of ‘you don’t need this, you’re wasting your money’, STOP! thankyou, I hear you, I have taken this opinion on board already and have still chosen to buy a scale, so there’s really no need for you to waste your time replying*

Replies

• endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    sarahbums wrote: »
    i recently upgraded to this one and i like it a lot. It syncs with an app and measures BF%, BMI, BMR, etc. So far it's really accurate. No smoothie station, unfortunately.

the adverstisement says it doesn't sync directly to MFP it syncs to fitbit which then syncs to MFP so this won't work for some of us. sad
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I really want this one, but my hundred dollar Aria is still going strong...
    https://www.vanityplanet.com/products/body-analyzer1
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    What is 'met age'?

Also, did you check the battery?

Also also, bio impedance scales are one step above plucking numbers from thin air (actually, they're not even one step up). You don't need this. You're wasting your money.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Try replacing the batteries.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    sarahbums wrote: »
    i recently upgraded to this one and i like it a lot. It syncs with an app and measures BF%, BMI, BMR, etc. So far it's really accurate. No smoothie station, unfortunately.

the adverstisement says it doesn't sync directly to MFP it syncs to fitbit which then syncs to MFP so this won't work for some of us. sad

All you need is to set up a Fitbit account and connect the scale to it. Then it will put the data to Fitbit which will put it in MFP, so it will work, it's just a workaround.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,879 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Fitbit accounts are freely available without a device. I use my device, of course, but even before I got a fitbit I was using the account to push weight info to MFP, trendweight.com and weighthrapher.com all through a single entry of weight on the fitbit app.

OP have you checked your Tanita's battery level and wiggled/cleaned all ground contact points?
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    What is 'met age'?

Also, did you check the battery?

Also also, bio impedance scales are one step above plucking numbers from thin air (actually, they're not even one step up). You don't need this. You're wasting your money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metabolic_age

I have my doubts that a scale can usefully determine all this from a single bioimpedance measurement plus body weight.