Advise needed

Hey guys,
So i've always enjoyed working out a lot but don't log everything in or keep track of my workouts. I recently started going back to the gym and decided i want to take it all the way with carbs cals and protein intake cause i want to see results. I am 160 lbs and average body. I want to bulk up so i can have that buffer look rather than just getting cut. My ideal weight goal is 180.

Any advise as to how to meal prep correctly and just any tips will help.

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I think you just need practice logging your food and being on a structured lifting program (not created by you).

Weight and muscle gain comes from a calorie surplus (250 calories per day extra is good for .5 lb per week gain) and structured programming with progressive overload. Not specific foods or correct meal prepping.

If you've never logged your calories, just start logging and see where you are.
  • Jonjonn31
    Jonjonn31 Posts: 5 Member
    Yea I'm actually trying to find a program to do cause like i mentioned I have never logged anything or ever did any workout program. I'm eating healthier and consuming a lot. Very much appreciated!
  • Jonjonn31
    edited April 2018
    VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    You don't need a food program. You simply need to eat in a surplus. The only thing meal prepping does is create convenience.

Everyone else has nailed every other point.
  • rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    I would say base meals around a few basics. If you get get bored of same food all the time I for example will have say a chicken meal with veg, a chicken meal veg and rice and beef mince homemade chilli with rice mon-fri each day. Chilli I cook for the week on Sunday and the chicken I will cook for mom-wed sun night then two days on wed night simple then add other meals like breakfast etc around those three as needed
  • Jonjonn31
    rdl81 wrote: »
    I would say base meals around a few basics. If you get get bored of same food all the time I for example will have say a chicken meal with veg, a chicken meal veg and rice and beef mince homemade chilli with rice mon-fri each day. Chilli I cook for the week on Sunday and the chicken I will cook for mom-wed sun night then two days on wed night simple then add other meals like breakfast etc around those three as needed

Yes! This is what i was looking for, just how others meal prep cause i was thinking of meal preping 3 meals a day cause i have small breakfast like toast and avocado for example and had only been meal prepping lunch since I live with my girlfriend we usually cook dinner. But doing 3 meals each day sounds much easier to keep everything logged.

• Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    edited April 2018
    Meal prep was a pain in the *kitten* for me as there's 3 of us in my family, only one of us lifts.

I eat whatever I cook for them and add extra protein on the side for example vegan mac & cheese half portion with a nut roast.

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    I do a little prepping - but it is mostly so that making food is easier.

Once a week I throw some chicken breasts in the crock pot with a little salt and pepper and water. When it is done cooking I shred and freeze it into 100 & 200 calorie portions.

I add the 100 calorie portions to soups, pasta, or whatever needs a little extra protein. The 200 calorie portions I usually have as a hot sandwich. I mix in salsa or some kind of sauce and put it on a bun. Tonight I am going to eat a spicy ramen and throw in 100 calories of the shredded chicken.

I also make one of these once a week: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10500016/low-calorie-protein-cheesecake/p1 (I have deviated from the original recipe). I slice it up and freeze it. The night before work I pack my lunch. Grab a slice of the cheesecake, some yogurt and something else and throw it in my lunch bag. In the morning I just grab my bag from the fridge and run out the door.