i need some advice

Options
Hello, i have been on a keto diet since jan 2nd and have been keto adapted for a couple months at least. i have dropped from 232 to 193 in weight but my body fat% is still 17+ so i began to workout on a program i used to do when i lifted regularly. its been 2 weeks of 5 day a week training, i run for 10 minutes, do 20-25 sets(some super some giant depending on the workout) and then burn down with a 20 minute fast paced walk mixed with some running and stair stepper..as of 7 days ago i was 193lbs exactly. today i weighed myself and i am 200.6lbs...its kind of strange as my caloric intake is still low(around 2000-2100) and still keto based(less then 5%carb,20-35%protein and 60-75% fat) i dont recover at all from the workouts and im gaining weight? why am i gsining weight if im burning more calories than before and still eating the same? i dont want to quit keto as the benifits have been great from it aside from weight loss but im about to try for a more balances diet if i keep putting back on weight.Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Could be retaining water since you've upped your workouts. Keep going, weigh yourself regularly. Track the pattern. Come back in about a month if you are still having issues and it doesn't change. Weightloss and fitness aren't linear. Many factors affect weight.

I used to maintain for a full month before I would just 'WOOSH' away 8lbs.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hello, i have been on a keto diet since jan 2nd and have been keto adapted for a couple months at least. i have dropped from 232 to 193 in weight but my body fat% is still 17+ so i began to workout on a program i used to do when i lifted regularly. its been 2 weeks of 5 day a week training, i run for 10 minutes, do 20-25 sets(some super some giant depending on the workout) and then burn down with a 20 minute fast paced walk mixed with some running and stair stepper..as of 7 days ago i was 193lbs exactly. today i weighed myself and i am 200.6lbs...its kind of strange as my caloric intake is still low(around 2000-2100) and still keto based(less then 5%carb,20-35%protein and 60-75% fat) i dont recover at all from the workouts and im gaining weight? why am i gsining weight if im burning more calories than before and still eating the same? i dont want to quit keto as the benifits have been great from it aside from weight loss but im about to try for a more balances diet if i keep putting back on weight.Any advice would be appreciated.

It's water weight from a new workout. Add in a potentially low intake (which is stress on the body), it's not uncommon to retain water.

Also low intake + keto is terrible for recovery. Heck, adequate intake + keto can be hard enough, especially at the individualistic level. It might be worth timing some of your carbs or all of your carbs around your workout with 30 to 40g of protein around your workout. Alternatively, you can reduce some of your cardio and focus on lifting to see if that helps. Also, what is your training program and what benefits do you think you are getting from keto?
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Yeah I second that. What are these benefits? No carbs equals reduced recovery. Weight gain is extremely likely to be water weight.
  • ricka1962
    ricka1962 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It's likely as others said. Water retention from lifting. I've seen that at times myself.

I am low carb/keto guy as well been doing it for 19 years now. It's no big deal to pass on the potato. You can recover very easily without the carbs. I do it all the time.

Keep plugging away, if you are really working in a caloric deficit, your weight loss will resume regardless of your diet. I weigh myself daily and can see a day to day swing of 3 or more pounds in either direction based on a number of different factors, so I focus on the longer term trends, not the point to point difference. Sometimes my average weight or BF may increase for a few weeks before I see the type of decline I was looking for. Weight loss as you probably noticed, isn't linear so try to track the weekly even monthly averages and trends.