Let’s talk KETO!

Options

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I did not adovocate to shock the body. I said to eat enough sodium/salt so that you don't get low electrolytes at all.

Why "ease into" low electrolytes when you can avoid low electrolytes altogether? Eat salt.

Now if someone wants to ease into a keto WOE, by slowly lowering carbs, in order to get used to eating that way, that's a whole other situation. But the body does not need dietary carbs and is generally not "shocked" when it carb intake is quickly reduced.

I misspoke. Sorry. You are not advocating anything you are simply responding to what people are doing. I also only meant reducing carbs over a week or so. There is no way to transition into lower electrolytes.

However, if the carb level is dropped radically and enough water is evacuated the body is shocked if electrolytes plummet for some people. If not so why is the body sick? Why risk it? Transition everyone that will listen. Where is the harm?
  • vickarye
    vickarye Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Im thinking about doing keto and i have looked around but im not sure i quite get what im supposed to be eating aside from cutting out carbs and eating high fat and protine . i dont understand the macros and how to measure what my amount should be . dose any one have a semi simple answer
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    vickarye wrote: »
    Im thinking about doing keto and i have looked around but im not sure i quite get what im supposed to be eating aside from cutting out carbs and eating high fat and protine . i dont understand the macros and how to measure what my amount should be . dose any one have a semi simple answer

I would go someplace like this and figure out macros. Join the LC and keto groups.

https://ketogains.com/ketogains-calculator/
  • lissetmba
    lissetmba Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    vickarye wrote: »

Oh and I also found this website helpful https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com
  • vickarye
    Options
    Thank you i will deffinantly check that out im starting today as soon as i do some research im so excited
  • vickarye
    Options
    I went on pintrest for a keto coffee recipe and for any one new to the idea like i am the links provided by lissetmba qhere extreamly helpfull and this one on pintrest broke it all down further . good luck to any newbie like me. http://pinterest.com/pin/ARz5HHTiYrCz_VABCLKNJ6hvv5Q6DnDpCP31Hv78Qp5B1VKtbZrpHXQ/?source_app=android
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I did not adovocate to shock the body. I said to eat enough sodium/salt so that you don't get low electrolytes at all.

Why "ease into" low electrolytes when you can avoid low electrolytes altogether? Eat salt.

Now if someone wants to ease into a keto WOE, by slowly lowering carbs, in order to get used to eating that way, that's a whole other situation. But the body does not need dietary carbs and is generally not "shocked" when it carb intake is quickly reduced.

I misspoke. Sorry. You are not advocating anything you are simply responding to what people are doing. I also only meant reducing carbs over a week or so. There is no way to transition into lower electrolytes.

However, if the carb level is dropped radically and enough water is evacuated the body is shocked if electrolytes plummet for some people. If not so why is the body sick? Why risk it? Transition everyone that will listen. Where is the harm?

No worries. :)

There is no real harm in transitioning into a keto diet unless you are someone who would rather just jump into it. ;)

TBH, I eased into a ketogenic diet. I took about 2 to 3 weeks to get down to about 20g of carbs, but I still experienced the electrolyte imbalance/keto flu because I (stupidly) refused to believe that my body needed 3000-5000 mg of sodium a day. I was stuck on the low sodium dogma of yesteryear. I had a huge headache for a week, along with other symptoms. After my third night of muscle cramps I added a lot of sodium to me diet (I ate a teaspoon of salt with water) and was better within hours.

My low electrolytes hit three weeks into being low carb and keto. I mention it because easing into low carb does not help someone avoid low electrolytes. Consuming more electrolytes helps one avoid low electrolytes. KWIM?
  • AtLeastOnceMore
    AtLeastOnceMore Posts: 304 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    raven56706 wrote: »
    is there any science behind keto? i hear a lot of people doing it but i would think its the same as calorie deficit.

https://www.ruled.me/ has all the info you're looking for on keto
  • glitternurse
    glitternurse Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    raven56706 wrote: »
    is there any science behind keto? i hear a lot of people doing it but i would think its the same as calorie deficit.

The Science Vs podcast did this one recently. I love the show for its clever concept even tho I don’t always agree with their interpretation of the research. Essentially what they found was weight loss is calories in vs calories out (as we all know) and that people eat less on a restricted diet. Seems simple enough. Whether increases mental altertness or not is subjective but they did have one staffer who said she loved it for that reason and was going to keep on. They did find however, that endurance athletes did not perform as well since ketone metabolism provides slightly less oxygen than glucose metabolism.. FWIW