Not all about calories

Options
Hi :) so i am back after a long break and I have some questions.
So , all my friends imply that 100g of something 'unhealthy' ( such as chips ) is not the same as 100g of something 'healthy' ( like chicken ) IN TERMS OF WEIGHT LOSS. So according to them , if I eat 1200 calories of chips , I won' t lose as much as if I ate 1200 calories of chicken , Since the body absorbs the fat from chips much faster. Is this true ? as I am really confused.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    in terms of weight loss it makes no difference if its chicken or chips if the calories are the same.

there's a million threads on this if you want to do some reading.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Your friends are incorrect.
    Nutritionally not equal but calorically equal. Probably not equal for satisfying your hunger.
    Eat less calories than you burn to lose weight, it is a fact.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Not 100 grams, 100 calories. If you eat 1200 calories of chips you’ll lose the same amount as if you eat 1200 calories of chicken. A calorie is just a unit of energy.

But two things. One, you’ll likely feel hungrier eating the chips. And two, neither of these diets would give you adequate nutrition. Have the chicken with veggies and some fat. Have the chips if you choose to. But make sure you’re meeting your nutrient goals along the way.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    In terms of fat loss, the source of calories doesn't matter. This has been shown in study after study, so science doesn't agree with your friend.

That said, highly processed food is often less satiating than an equal number of calories from less processed food so adherence to a specific caloric deficit can sometimes be more difficult if you consume a large percentage of your calories in highly processed items and adherence is the biggest factor in success.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    A few questions:
    -Can you stay satisfied on 1200 calories of chips?
    -Are you prepared to deal with the consequences of malnutrition?
    -If your friends mentioned 100 calories of chips, why would you assume they meant a diet of only chips?
    -What do you mean your body absorbs the fat from chips faster??

All that being said, I may have eaten half my allotment in chocolate on Monday, but that was a one off that should have no impact on my overall weightloss, not a diet plan.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    RunRun72 wrote: »
    Hi :) so i am back after a long break and I have some questions.
    So , all my friends imply that 100g of something 'unhealthy' ( such as chips ) is not the same as 100g of something 'healthy' ( like chicken ) IN TERMS OF WEIGHT LOSS. So according to them , if I eat 1200 calories of chips , I won' t lose as much as if I ate 1200 calories of chicken , Since the body absorbs the fat from chips much faster. Is this true ? as I am really confused.

Are you planning on eating 1200 calories of just chips or just chicken? Seems pretty unlikely and therefore a bit of an odd question. A calorie is just a unit of energy. Dietary fat is not the same thing as body fat.

Overall calorie deficit is key for weight loss, if you're in a deficit your body will burn fat but a balanced nutrient dense diet is going to be healthier and help you maintain muscle whilst you lose body fat.
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Protein is superior because of the thermic effect. After digestion, your body will only hold onto 3.2 of the 4 calories per gram of protein and it will be closer to the full 4 calories per gram for the chips. Another reason protein is superior is because it is more muscle sparing even if carbs are also muscle sparing. The difference will be negligible with such a low amount(100g) but if you're talking 1000 calories of either, the difference can be significant over a period of time.

When calories and protein are equal, weight loss will also be equal.