Options
2 medium zucchini
1 pound Italian sausage
1 cup Italian bread crumbs
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 (32 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Calculate this and see what you get? I know theres variance for brands but a solid, mostly generic brand(s) works for me. The reason i ask is because the calories listed on the site i pulled it off of, and the number I got when i entered are VASTLY different. like 3 times the amount. i double checked to make sure no funky entries were used or jacked up amounts of something.

So... let me know what y'all come up with and ill tell you what i got, and what the recipe itself SAYS.....

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    There's no weights given. What's the point?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options
    Put it in the recipe calculator.

Each ingredient can vary - especially sausages and spaghetti sauce. Just use the nutrition labels on the processed stuff, and the weighted grams of the zucchini. I mean, all your ingredients come in a box or package...it wouldn't do any good to have anyone else calculate for different products.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I was bored so...for the whole thing I got 2,031.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I imagine the spaghetti sauce, sausage and bread crumbs can vary widely with brand.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    2400 calories. Call it 2500 just to be safe.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    That came up to 2945 using generic entries. You really can't know because you're not using weight and not mentioning the brands. It could be lower or higher.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    yeah yall are getting roughly what i got.

the recipe site says .... get this .... under 400 a serving (with 4 servings on that recipe!)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Yeah, not gonna happen. Just one look at the ingredients and you know this will never be that low. These are generic entries pulled out of an official database:

u68w7rs0gtji.png
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    Yeah, not gonna happen. Just one look at the ingredients and you know this will never be that low. These are generic entries pulled out of an official database:

u68w7rs0gtji.png

at least i know im not alone and wasnt having a malfunction of my brain when entering it in.

whats scary is, and youve been doing this a long time, as have i, but we both know there are people who will take the word of the recipe and do a quick add calorie for the meal based on that, who are in actuality eating at least twice the amount (and then whining about not losing lol)

you can cut the calories in this way down, and thats what ill do, but even then im not sure it will get as low as what the recipe claims. lololol
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Are you making zucchini boats?
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    its really how fatty the sausage is.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

the recipe site says .... get this .... under 400 a serving (with 4 servings on that recipe!)

Maybe with chicken sausage, reduced fat mozzarella and reduced fat parmesan.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    Are you making zucchini boats?

yeah and i cut it down to whats more acceptable for me, calorically.

But then, get this, I try a second recipe off that site (its actually a subscription i just signed up for). Same thing. Actual calories on MFP estimated to be almst DOUBLE what the recipe says.

Yes, I can modify the recipe to fit my needs more. But if im PAYING for this *kitten*, it better be reasonably accurate (or at least ballpark area).

I cancelled my subscription.
    TeaBea wrote: »

i changed it to be ground turkey, removed breadcrumbs, changed amount of meat and sauce and a few other things and got an entire zucchini in around 400 cals. little bit of wiggle room, im prelogging so weights will change, but it gives a decent idea of what to expect
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

I like your style!