Non-weightloss related goals

Options
Since I've joined this site, it seems to me most groups/posts/motivation seems to be weight related, "lose x# lbs, I want to weight x". However, even though I myself have over 50lbs to lose according to conventional BMI charts, none of my goals are scale- related.
I would really love to hear from, and hopefully make some non-scale obsessed friends.

For me, my current goals are to be able to run a 5K. I have always been able to handle cardio, from hour long Zumba and spin classes and the elliptical and lots of bike riding, but have never been able to run longer than a minute without feeling winded and in pain. I am currently doing C25K, and am very proud of the progress I am making so far.

In addition to that, I want to build up my strength, so Ive been focusing on lifting "heavy" more than anything else lately. I have started the 5x5 stronglifts program and have seen changes in only 3 weeks.

What are your goals? What are your motivators outside of a pant size or number on the scale?

Replies

• TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    My main goal is to lower my body fat percentage to below 19%, and also to be able to build strength. I think it would be awesome to squat/ deadlift my body weight or more. I'd also like to eventually be able to bench 100lbs. (If that's even possible for me). Visible muscle would be great, that will come with the decreased body fat though.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Pull ups :smile:
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Pull ups :smile:

Oh wait, let's add this to my list.
    I haven't been able to do a single one since grade school!
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Pull ups
    Tough Mudder
    Spartan Trifecta (all 3 Spartan Races in one year)
    Join the Catskills 3500 Club
    Hiking in the Grand Canyon
    NYC Century Bike Tour

Just to name a few :)
  • degausser234
    degausser234 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I think most of my goals are not weightloss related! I've realized that I'm more likely to fail if I'm constantly worrying about seeing a smaller number every week, instead I'm focusing on how I feel.

Some of my goals right now (they're constantly changing!):
    Lower my body fat percentage (mostly through strength training)
    Run a 5k
    To be able to do a proper pull-up/push-up
    Go on a long-distance bike trip
  • HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I want to be able to run a 5K in the morning before work/school, just because I can.
    And I want my thighs to stop rubbing against each other. It's so bad, it actually ruined several pair of pants I own.
  • USMCnetty90
    USMCnetty90 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Id like to have a lower bmi -
    I would like to work up to run a half marathon... much training needed for this as I have just started running again last week...
    Tough mudder - next year!!!
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I think you've got the right idea.

I started with a weight loss goal that was in the upper middle range of BMI. But, my trainer made sure I lifted weights and did some cardio while losing to preserve lean body mass and shed fat. Had to re-evaluate and set new goals once my weight was manageable. Over the years it has been to lower my body fat percentage, reduce my waistline, learn to ski, become a cyclist, eat unprocessed foods, and the like.

Three years into maintenance and I still reevaluate from time to time. But one goal always remains the same. To stay healthy.
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Yeah, most of my goals are non-weight loss too. I have inches goals (getting my waist to 28" so I can wear a skirt I made before I was married), push up goals, the dream of being able to do pull ups, finishing Insanity. That, and to stay in shape and set a good example for my 3 kids. And someday I have a dream of backpacking around Mt. Rainier. But that probably won't happen until the youngest is at least 10, and we aren't sure we are done having children yet! But staying in shape until that happens will make a big difference in many things, health included.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    IMO, numbers don't make good goals.

My goal is to be lean and well-muscled, to feel great & be healthy. This is a goal that will require ongoing efforts. There won't be a day when I call "GOAL MET! I'm done!" There is no "done."
  • jacobhyatt91
    jacobhyatt91 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My Non weight goal is to do a Tough Mudder or similar mud run or a half marathon..havent decided yet
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I would like to be able to wear a "little black dress".

I haven't got one, mind, and never go anywhere I could wear one, but so what.
  • Courtney011691
    Options
    My first goal when I decided to lose weight was to be able to wear all my summer clothes from last summer (like 30 lbs ago). Some of them fit now but all my favorites are still too small. So goal one is to be able to wear some of them this fall if its warm still.

My second goal is to run a half marathon. I have no idea why. I've never even ran a 5K. I just woke up one day and decided that was the goal for November. So far I'm up to 5 miles which is 2 miles more than I was ever able to run in the past.

Goal three: run the Susan B Komen 5K in under 25 minutes. Everyone at work does it and the fastest person was just over 25 minutes last year. I intend to beat them!
  • crzycylr
    crzycylr Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    athlete body fat, which means about 7.8% loss for me
    join cycling club
    shop at Ann Taylor Loft and know that I have my pick of clothes
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    My goals are to get stronger and continue to set new PRs on my lifts. I also want to work on endurance so for that I'm taking boxing classes and running. Add me if you like!
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to running my first 5k, and to passing the Police Academy physical test in a year.
  • Sweetestthing87
    Sweetestthing87 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    1. Finish a Tough Mudder
    2. Rock a LBD
    3. Ride in the MS150
    4. Get back out there (dating world)
    5. Run like the wind
    :happy:
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options

Hiking in the Grand Canyon

I want to hike the Canyon, too! I have been camping on the South rim, but I want to hike rim to rim!
  • c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Run my second marathon in under five hours.
  • Michielynn222
    Michielynn222 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Be able to do push ups well
    Grow out my hair, healthy!
    Stop biting my nails :P
    Tone up :)
    Be able to run comfortably