What to order at a Mexican restaurant

Options

Replies

• brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    OP, I have a "meal" logged of individual components on mfp for my local mex chicken enchiladas which I order with no cheese no sour cream, and it dings me about 500 cals - completely survivable and my go to.

Alternatively, enjoy and log as best you may :)
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    In that situation I tend to just eat what I enjoy and log to the best of my ability. And the rest of the week I'm back to strict logging and calorie counting. I've lost weight this way too! I personally enjoy enchiladas or a quesadilla. Yum!

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,995 Member
    Options
    My plan for next time- bring a large container of radishes, celery, sliced green pepper, baby carrots, zucchini coins.. and a single serve hummus to eat before food arrives. I did okay except for the chips yesterday...
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    My plan for next time- bring a large container of radishes, celery, sliced green pepper, baby carrots, zucchini coins.. and a single serve hummus to eat before food arrives. I did okay except for the chips yesterday...

I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but you are aware that you can't bring your own food into a restaurant?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but you are aware that you can't bring your own food into a restaurant?

Yeah that would skeeve me out if a friend/family member brought their own food to the restaurant, even if the restaurant allowed it! I can see where for some with SEVERE allergies it might be a good plan but seriously not on board with that for someone who's just trying to cut calories. lol
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Agree. Leave your food at home. I don't like the word cheating with regards to dieting but that is cheating. You have to learn how to fit restaurants into your normal diet. It is a necessary skill for success.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I was in a nutrition class recently where they suggested that you request carrots and cucumbers, rather than chips. Please do this, as I have never seen carrots nor cucumbers at a Mexican restaurant and am dying to know if this is really a thing!

Our favorite Mexican restaurant has zanahorias (pickled carrots) and cucumber slices at their salsa bar. We load up a plate of those to share (not that I skip the tortilla chips, though - lol).

As far as what to order - Carne asada is usually a decent choice. The meat is reasonably lean and it's grilled, not fried. Most Mexican restaurants will also have some kind of chicken dishes. As already mentioned, ceviche is a good choice if they offer seafood, or some sort of camarón (shrimp) dish.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I usually get pork carnitas with rice and beans, they bring small flour tortillas and I fill maybe one of those but then just eat the pork with rice and beans by itself. We also get one basket of chips but split as a family and not refilled that’s less than 200 cals usually. I estimate my typical meal at a Mexican restaurant at about 700 cals if I don’t do beer or a margarita. Fits in my day pretty easily.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Where are you? Tex-mex is very different from Cali-mex is very different from genuine Mexican food.

Have you ever been to Mexico? Every town / every county has its own thing going on. There is literally no such thing as genuine Mexican food. Also Detroit- Mex> Tex-Mex > Cali-Mex!
  • jbrooks3645
    jbrooks3645 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Where are you? Tex-mex is very different from Cali-mex is very different from genuine Mexican food.

Mississippi we usually go to one called el charros
  • jbrooks3645
    jbrooks3645 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    In that situation I tend to just eat what I enjoy and log to the best of my ability. And the rest of the week I'm back to strict logging and calorie counting. I've lost weight this way too! I personally enjoy enchiladas or a quesadilla. Yum!

Chicken quesadillas with Pico are my favorite!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Have you ever been to Mexico? Every town / every county has its own thing going on. There is literally no such thing as genuine Mexican food. Also Detroit- Mex> Tex-Mex > Cali-Mex!

Lived in several of those towns and counties, actually. I never said it was one monolithic thing, just that I live within walking distance of the border and still can't get the national dish in September.

All I remember of Detroit Mex is pumpkin empanadas that had better spiced and filling to masa ratio than any others I have ever had.

PS Now you made me want a federal district specialty restaurant.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    mmmm mexican

chips and queso!
    enchiladas!
    Fajitas!

I will happily blow all my calories for MEXICAN!

^^^^^^ This. If I'm going for Mexican, I'm eating all the foods (and drinking all the margharitas).

• mutantspicy
    Options

Lived in several of those towns and counties, actually. I never said it was one monolithic thing, just that I live within walking distance of the border and still can't get the national dish in September.

All I remember of Detroit Mex is pumpkin empanadas that had better spiced and filling to masa ratio than any others I have ever had.

That's cool what Border town are you in? Texas near El Paso? I just remember being culture shocked when I realized that food in Monterray was completely different from Mexico City which was complety different from little country villages and well to do towns like Puebla and then there's Oaxaca. If you ever come back to Detroit you have to check out Mexican Town just south of the city. They have their own thing going on there that I haven't had anywhere else I've been. But yeah but trying to be on diet in Detroit can be tricky, we eat big and flavorful here. I honestly think a lot of so called American authentic Mexican restaurants are trying to emulate the Americanized experience in Cancun. That said I love all of it.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I always get chicken fajitas, no tortillas, and skip the sides and stick with water. Well within my calorie budget.
    It is very filling and the restaurant we like is authentic Mexican. The best I have ever had (except for my sister's m-i-l who is Mexican and has no equal when it comes to authentic).
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

That's cool what Border town are you in? Texas near El Paso? I just remember being culture shocked when I realized that food in Monterray was completely different from Mexico City which was complety different from little country villages and well to do towns like Puebla and then there's Oaxaca. If you ever come back to Detroit you have to check out Mexican Town just south of the city. They have their own thing going on there that I haven't had anywhere else I've been. But yeah but trying to be on diet in Detroit can be tricky, we eat big and flavorful here. I honestly think a lot of so called American authentic Mexican restaurants are trying to emulate the Americanized experience in Cancun. That said I love all of it.

Detroit (and it's Buckeye neighbor) has an amazing variety of restaurants! and the art museums! But I haven't set foot in the Midwest since my parents and eldest brother moved away, maybe a decade ago?

I am in San Diego, which is great because in Texas we only ever got migas, never chilaquiles. Still can't bring myself to try them with eggs, though! Plus, fish tacos and tacos al pastor actually on a spit. I have never seen tacos arabes in any part of the US, though.

I started my Mexican life near Puebla. I can definitively say that although I have not tried YOUR mole poblano, I will hate it when you badger me into trying it.
  • mutantspicy
    Options

Detroit (and it's Buckeye neighbor) has an amazing variety of restaurants! and the art museums! But I haven't set foot in the Midwest since my parents and eldest brother moved away, maybe a decade ago?

I am in San Diego, which is great because in Texas we only ever got migas, never chilaquiles. Still can't bring myself to try them with eggs, though! Plus, fish tacos and tacos al pastor actually on a spit. I have never seen tacos arabes in any part of the US, though.

I started my Mexican life near Puebla. I can definitively say that although I have not tried YOUR mole poblano, I will hate it when you badger me into trying it.

Migas are for home cooking, chilaquiles are for going out to breakfast. In Mexico City I had a variant called Divorciado which was one half green chile and one half red chile so good. The spit thing They do something like that in Puerto Rico usually pork and chicken but a lot of places will make all kinds of seafood that way.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

haha I love it all, too. I have found very similar and drastically different Mexican food all throughout the Midwest, West, and Southwest! All of it is great.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    __TMac__ wrote: »
    I just returned from Mexican lunch. Supreme steak burrito, mole on the side, chips, salsa verde, two margaritas (from scratch, not a mix, and not too bad calorie-wise), and an accidental tequila shot (gift from the server).

As you can see, I am not skilled at choosing wisely, so I make it more about “context” than “dosage.” I skipped breakfast and will have a light dinner. And will run tomorrow. Totally worth it.

thats how i do it, and it works for me!

if im going out to eat, im going to eat EXACTLY what i want and pay for it in other ways lololol
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I always go w Camarones Tapititos (shrimp).