Beginner lifting program using dumbbells only?

Options
So, I am not that new to lifting. I did about 1 year of Strong Lifts 5x5 and 1 year of Starting Strength. However, I stopped doing that about a year ago along with most strength work, so I reckon I should probably start back at the beginning. Both are good programs I liked a lot, but I now no longer have access to any type of barbell equipment, which is at least 90% of what I did with those programs. I live in an apartment so it's not an option to get my own (nowhere to put it and I don't think my neighbors would appreciate the noise), and I would like to avoid getting a new gym membership if possible. My boyfriend and I purchased a set of adjustable weight dumbbells so both he and I can start getting back into doing strength work regularly.

However, I'll be honest, I mostly avoided dumbbells in the past because I was more comfortable with barbells, comfortable with the plans I chose that didn't include any dumbbell work, and was concerned that the injury risk with barbells when increasing load may be higher, so no reason to explore them much. Now that they've become my primary option for strength work, I'm realizing that I don't actually really know many compound dumbbell exercises (only some isolation exercises), and even more so I am not familiar with any full body lifting program (where everything is spelled out for you, preferably including the progressions) featuring dumbbells only.

Is anyone familiar with a reputable program like this? I can find a lot of dumbbell workout plans online, but who knows how well thought out they really are. I'm not so familiar with lifting that I can tell the difference between a good program and a bad one, so I need a little help with this. I'm mostly looking just to improve strength/endurance and maintain muscle mass rather than hypertrophy, although I won't really be mad if I gain a few lbs of muscle, as I probably need it after not lifting much the past year.

Replies