12 year old boy- should I be concerned?

Options
dwh77tx
dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
So, my 12 year old son came back from 3.5 weeks at sleepaway camp yesterday. He wanted to weigh himself after we unpacked. He did ( I wasn't in the room) and came out and said-" I gained 2 lbs- I thought it was going to be more because of all the different foods I've been eating." He is not overweight (78 lbs) and never has been. None of us are overweight in our family, but I make sure we eat healthy. I said casually "oh, ok. well you're growing so you don't need to worry about anything". I never ask him to weigh himself or anything. The scale is in our bedroom bathroom so the kids can use it if they want. The whole wanting to weigh himself after he came home thing just kind of struck a nerve and I'm a little concerned. He eats normally, we don't restrict anything, etc. Thoughts? Or should I just forget about it?

Replies

• AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Forget about it
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try to find out why he's weighing himself. Is it because somebody called him fat at the camp? Is there a girl involved? It never hurts to ask, so you can reassure him if he has a concern about something.
  • Pulka_Dot
    Pulka_Dot Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be too concerned. He could have overheard an adult there saying that they probably gained weight while they were there. Shoot, I know that I say that when I go on vacation "Oh, I know I'm going to gain 10 lbs with all the good food I'm eating."
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    He's 12. It happens.
    On the plus side - he didn't say it was a bad thing if he gained, so he's not worried about it.
  • arizonaladybug
    arizonaladybug Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I would forget about it unless he brings it up again or anything els related to his weight. 12 year old boys usually wouldn't be concerned with weight unless someone is putting those thoughts in his head which could very well be the media that is out there now. I would just watch it closely and make sure he isn't becoming really self conscious.
  • ashandloggiesmom
    ashandloggiesmom Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I would probably let it go unless I started to see more of the same behavior, like it was becoming obsessive. I think its actually ok for kids to think about what they eat effecting their health, but if the only concern was their weight and the way they look as opposed to overall health I might be worried.
  • 98by2014
    98by2014 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking it might just be that he's suddenly becoming a teenager and every teenager gets body conscious. Kids these days are usually considered teenagers by the time their 11 now, none of those "wow I'm 16 oh no my boobs are lopsided or I'm slightly chubby" **** anymore, it starts so much earlier now. I wouldn't make too much of a fuss of it because he is young and therefore easily influenced by what others think but I would monitor it. Maybe it's just a healthy habit he's getting into here, instead of an eating problem.

Hope everything's okay! :)
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    I would just mention it at his next doctor appointment. Maybe write a note and give the nurse to give the doctor so as not to mention it infront of him and make him feel on the spot. Unless he starts eating differently or showing other signs to concern you I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. If it reaches a point it really bothers you schedule a check up with the doctor. Its almost school time so it could be under pretense of for school. Then let the doctor discuss it with him and any concerns he has. If mom does he may go on the defensive. Just my 2 cents.
  • brendaj39
    brendaj39 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    there probably was a discussion at camp about weight. If he is smaller than some other kids, someone may have said something to him. I have a 13 year old boy and when he was going thru his growth spurt, he was growing out of his clothes fast, so maybe that is the case with him, he just wanted to know how big he was getting.... my son is a wrestler so he does get weighed often during the sport, but otherwise he doesn't pay much attention to it. I guess ask him why he is wondering about weighing himself.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    If you have concerns then I would speak to the people that operate the camp
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My 14 yr old weighs himself sometimes because he WANTS to gain! He's always been on the thin side, and I think he wants to beef up a bit to impress the girls. I wouldn't put too much energy into worry about it. If he starts pushing the food away from the table or intentionally skipping meals, then yea... I'd have a sit down to say "what's up?"
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    If you have concerns then I would speak to the people that operate the camp
    tumblr_mcrlfjhW3f1ro8qpo.gif
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    No. You are making a big deal out of nothing. The child wanted to weigh himself. Once.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm more concerned over your concern.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I'm more concerned over your concern.

This concerns me.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    If you caught him with drugs or cigarettes or booze I'd be cOncerned, but no way on earth is it concerning that he weighed himself.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    78 lbs at 12 y/o? I was 5'10" 180 when I was 12...