Are there any weight trending apps that take TOM into account?

Options

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Is there any reason you can't just weigh yourself and then not enter the weight on your app?

If you only use a scale that automatically tracks, consider getting an old school one for when you're ovulating and having your period. Problem solved.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    bigpapawes wrote: »
    One of the users mentioned an app called "Happy Scale". It uses a moving average (as I am sure do others), but has an "advanced lag compensation" feature that uses a double-exponential moving average. While this makes progress look a little slow on the front end of a diet (while dropping initial water weight) and can show that you are losing at the beginning of plateaus; it gives a better picture once in an established routine. Best of all it is a free app.

Happy Scale is the app I’m currently using. And that ‘advanced lag compensation’ is part of the problem, given that I’m dropping water weight quickly on a monthly basis.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I do not know of a trending app or any app that does what you want.

My period has been irregular for awhile. I don't think an app can help me with my feelings about that. I stopped using the period tracking app I had because it was too frustrating since I would like to be able to predict my period and it could just tell me my period was late. I know there are many other apps and maybe one handles irregular menstruation better but I chose to just keep track of stuff on paper and feel less frustrated about it. Maybe you would be better off just using a spreadsheet or paper instead of an app since you know why your weight is up or down that much.
    I handle not getting spooked by my weight by weighing only once a week, not using a trending app at all, not focusing so much on the number as my measure of progress, looking at longer time periods for change.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    OP if you are regular, you can always choose not to WI near TOM or whenever you know hormones get you bloated = heavier,I’m sure that by know you now exactly when and how much you gain, so wait a few days and keep tracking, although the whole point of daily tracking your weight is to understand and accept fluctuations that are not in your control and obviously fix the ones that are...I think you are over stressing for no reason ;)
  • gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem like what you need exists, but every weight tracker I've ever used has the option to remove logged days. Your best bet might be to go back and remove the higher weights that you know are just retained water so they don't mess with your trend.
  • ceiswyn
    Options
    2- what you want doesnt exist. we can not MAKE it exist.

And had the first couple of responses to my post been ‘what you want doesn’t exist’, I wouldn’t be frustrated.

But they weren’t, were they? They weren’t anything nearly so helpful. Because telling a person “You don’t have the problem you say you do” and “You need something completely different from what you say you need” is not helpful, it’s actually patronising and insulting.

Why do you expect me to be pleasant about being patronised and insulted?
    3- A scale, ANY scale does not know if it is up 5 pounds because you pigged out for 5 days straight and ate everything in sight, or if its fluid retention.

And that is why it would be nice if there were an app that could recognise the monthly pattern of weight gain just before the period that is common in menstruating people. It wouldn’t require a particularly complex algorithm. But if it doesn’t exist, it doesn’t exist.
    5- none of it matters. If its TOM of month, you probably know that, and as (I will assume) a fully functioning adult with the ability to detect basic patterns regarding your body, YOU should know if the scale jumps up for seemingly no reason (no change in diet, no over eating, no new workouts or workout intensity changes) that, chances are, Aunt Flo is popping in soon to say hi, and to disregard the little numbers on the scale for the next 2 weeks.

Yes, I do know that. I know spiders are harmless, too. Doesn’t prevent me getting twitchy about either thing, though, because that’s not how the human mind works.

But thanks for taking the time to actually answer my question, in amongst the rest. If only more people tried that as a first resort, rather than a last one!
  • ceiswyn
    Options
    gcminton wrote: »
    It doesn't seem like what you need exists, but every weight tracker I've ever used has the option to remove logged days. Your best bet might be to go back and remove the higher weights that you know are just retained water so they don't mess with your trend.

Ooh! Now that I hadn’t thought of. I’ll go give that a shot :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Once you know you're having your period you can adjust weightgrapher to superimpose instead of 28 days some other number of days that would take you back to your previous period. This lets you compare the same TOM to your previous one.

I don't know of anything that can predict what may have caused a sudden weight gain other than a "self check"

Yesterday I was suddenly up 2lbs, which for me is usual. So I sat there considered how much I had eaten and how much I was in the red. Considered that my legs were hurting and I had gone out for a two hour hill walk after midnight. Checked my log and recalled I had swiped a couple of slices of pizza and decided that it was unlikely to be a gain of more than 0.1lbs and that I will continue monitoring it today!
  • ceiswyn
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Once you know you're having your period you can adjust weightgrapher to superimpose instead of 28 days some other number of days that would take you back to your previous period. This lets you compare the same TOM to your previous one.

Ooh, that might be a usable workaround. I’ll look into that. Thanks :)
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Most of the trending apps I've seen tend to use moving averages to smooth data. I wonder if any have experimented with using standard deviations to remove noise instead (requiring weight to be beyond +/- x stddev to plot a new point (and then just connecting the points).
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Why don't you put a note in Libra that you have TOM on those weigh in days? I put a note in mine for that plus for "salty meals" so I can understand any spikes and not freak out over them.

Besides it's the overall trend that matters not a few days. If you are still in a deficit you should still see a downward trend regardless of TOM.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hey OP. I'm not sure id this woukd help but in Libra you can adjust the smoothing and trending day limits. What if you set it for a 15 day trend and a longer smooth? Then havung two weeks of off data woukdnt throw it?