Am I still not eating enough?

So I’ve been using this app for the last month. I’ve set my program to gain .5kg a week, and my calorie intake have been 3,000-3,500 and I have still yet to gain any weight. I spend all my time at work on my feet, plus I workout 3 days a week for 60mins. I’m just wondering if any people have had the same type of problems and have had to raise their macros by a large amount to see weight gains?

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    What did you set your incidental activity level to? Are you eating back exercise calories?
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    ^^^ This. Have you set your level to active (which it sounds like you are), are you eating back your exercise calories? I find mfp estimates much too low for me and generally have to add at least another 250 just to maintain
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    So I’ve been using this app for the last month. I’ve set my program to gain .5kg a week, and my calorie intake have been 3,000-3,500 and I have still yet to gain any weight. I spend all my time at work on my feet, plus I workout 3 days a week for 60mins. I’m just wondering if any people have had the same type of problems and have had to raise their macros by a large amount to see weight gains?

Do you weigh your food?

If you're not gaining, try adding another 250 cals
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    hit 3500 every day day for two weeks and then readjust. 3000-3500 is to large a range if your having trouble gaining
  • get_fit_phil
    get_fit_phil Posts: 14 Member
    My active level is set to active and I weigh all my food. In regards to eating back my exercise calories, I don’t know how to track calories burned in the gym as I just do weight training and no cardio.
    -
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    My active level is set to active and I weigh all my food. In regards to eating back my exercise calories, I don’t know how to track calories burned in the gym as I just do weight training and no cardio.
    -

3000 - 3500 is quite a variation in calorie intake. I would do the suggestion above and hit 3500 for 2 maybe even 3 weeks. If you are still maintaining after several weeks increase it again.

If you have trouble reaching your calorie goal then calorie dense foods will help immensely (see list provided in the link)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • comptonelizabeth
    -

Search for strength training under cardio.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Also, what lifting program are you using?
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    -

I log my lifting under cardio, it has 'strength training' 1 hour is around 152 calories
  • ricka1962
    ricka1962 Posts: 84 Member
    Think of this app as a guide not a rule. So if you aren't gaining at the suggested caloric intake, up it a bit at a time until you do. Same if you trying to loose at some point. No one will be mad :smile:
  • get_fit_phil
    Thanks for the feedback guys
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    It’s only been a couple weeks, give it time hitting your actual caloric goals, prob 3500 if you haven’t had an increase yet
  • get_fit_phil
    edited May 2018
    So I used a step tracker app the other day at work and apparently I burn over 1000 calories just at work alone. I now know I haven’t been replenishing these lost calories hence why I haven’t seen weight gains. Would those amount of calories being burned be considered as an active job or very active?
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    app probably over estimates but very active is my vote especially if you haven't gained. You can always dial it back if rate of gain becomes to fast
  • comptonelizabeth
    So I used a step tracker app the other day at work and apparently I burn over 1000 calories just at work alone. I now know I haven’t been replenishing these lost calories hence why I haven’t seen weight gains. Would those amount of calories being burned be considered as an active job or very active?

Those won't be additional calories burned, though. It's just a different way of tracking calories burned.
    My fitbit tells me I burn around 1600 calories a day but I don't eat them back because it's just a calculator like mfp, if that makes sense.
    What you could do is to link your tracker with mfp (if that's possible - not all if them are compatible) Mfp then calculates how much you're doing over and above your stated activity level and adjusts you'd calorie needs accordingly. I've done that with my fitbit