Quick weights as cardio

Options
Can weights EVER be considered cardio if done in quick enough succession? I alternate dumbbell squats to side lunges in pretty quick succession with no rest. The whole workout lasts about 15-20 mins (about 5 sets each) before a short run. Should I just count the run as cardio?

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    15 reps of weights is cardio/endurance
    but if you're just looking to burn calories, grab a jump rope and save your joints.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Yeah they can.

But the better question is why would you do that? Do cardio for cardio, and lift heavy challenging weights for strength training. A bastardized hybrid doesn't get the best of either.
  • DawnOBRN
    DawnOBRN Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Yes, combo exercises like squats with military press gets my heart rate up like a sprint!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    A heart rate increase during strength training is not evidence of a cardio effect. The more dynamic you make the exercise (to increase the cardio effect), the less resistance training effect you will get. So, you can make "lifting weights the same as cardio", but when you do, then you are no longer doing resistance training. You are doing cardio using weight movements.

For someone who does not want to do traditional cardio, or who is not looking for significant strength increases, then this type of workout might be OK. Just remember, it's kind of a "taint" workout.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    yep
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Can weights EVER be considered cardio if done in quick enough succession? I alternate dumbbell squats to side lunges in pretty quick succession with no rest. The whole workout lasts about 15-20 mins (about 5 sets each) before a short run. Should I just count the run as cardio?

Do you mean like circuit training using lighter for endurance rather than strength? YES

Do you mean attempting to still lift heavy like before only doing it really fast? NO

Personally, I would slow down the weight training before your run to get the better effects of the weight training. If you wanted to do a circuit training routine for cardio and endurance purposes, then I wouldn't go running afterwards as that's just cardio on top of more cardio which can easily lead to feeling rundown and overtrained or cause injuries.