Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Metabolic adaptation and refeeds

Options
nettiklive
nettiklive Posts: 206 Member
edited April 2018 in Debate Club
Carrying this over from reading the 'of refeeds and diet breaks' thread, didn't want to hijack the thread with a debate.

But I don't know if I'm being stupid or am I missing something.

It's been argued over and over in CICO and 'starvation mode' debates on here that metabolic adaptation does not affect weight loss to the point that people think it does, and that any adaptation is minor and easily overcome with a moderate deficit.

However, that thread is full of people saying diet breaks help them restore a slowed metabolic rate and start losing weight faster, and one of the last posters showed a graph with her TDEE going up by a whopping 500 calories after a diet break.

500 calories is NOT a minor change, by any means. It is a HUGE difference in someone's daily intake, particularly a smaller person.

My questions is, HOW?? If CICO is a straightforward process and metabolic adaptation is insignificant, why would a diet break do anything but simply add calories to your intake and slow down your progress?

As someone who has been eating and maintaining at a fairly low RMR for my size, I've been torn between wanting to try eating more to 'rev up' my metabolism, and being terrified that it would only cause me to gain weight that will then be hard to lose (because I've always found it very easy to maintain yet incredibly hard to lose, at any weight).

Can someone shed light and explain to me the physiological rationale behind this??

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    nettiklive wrote: »
    I'm just trying to make it through some of the insanity of info there. But I'm just really confused. Basically it's like the whole thread is in opposition to everything stated on the rest of the forum over and over. All the things that were brought up in debate discussions here and dismissed as woo are actually recognized there - role of hormones, leptin, cortisol, homeostasis, macros. I got a bunch of woo reactions by mentioning homeostasis in one of the threads here, yet there are several posts in that thread stating just that (and not a single woo, hah).

Basically the rest of the forum is screaming 'its so simple, hormones/carbs/etc don't affect anything, just eat at a deficit and lose and don't make it complicated."

Then you get into, 'well this is actually complicated as kitten, you need to think about balancing hormones and counting carbs etc etc., Otherwise you're shooting yourself in the foot'

VERY confusing and conflicting messages

it is as simple as a calorie deficit. I have a genetic metabolic disorder and for me it should be hard to lose weight. I ate in a deficit and lost, the only difference is my BMR is lower than it should be for my height,age,weight and activity level.carbs dont effect my weight as I eat a good amount of carbs.

most people say oh you have a metabolic disorder so do keto. the difference for me is I cannot do keto as my body does not process fats and cholesterol like others do,so therefore excess fats and cholesterol get stored not only in my arteries and I have an adundance of it in my blood stream but I also get fat pads(fat and cholesterol deposits under the skin called xanthelasmas and xanthomas).

for me carbs dont cause me any ill effects. yes my weight loss is slower than I think it should be,but even with lower amounts of carbs there is no difference for me(less than 1lb a month in most cases even when I was eating 1300 calories). for me I lose weight but for me I have to work harder at losing than most people may have to.I never did lose 2 lbs a week even when I was obese. even at a large deficit the weight loss is very slow.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    nettiklive wrote: »
    I'm just trying to make it through some of the insanity of info there. But I'm just really confused. Basically it's like the whole thread is in opposition to everything stated on the rest of the forum over and over. All the things that were brought up in debate discussions here and dismissed as woo are actually recognized there - role of hormones, leptin, cortisol, homeostasis, macros. I got a bunch of woo reactions by mentioning homeostasis in one of the threads here, yet there are several posts in that thread stating just that (and not a single woo, hah).

Basically the rest of the forum is screaming 'its so simple, hormones/carbs/etc don't affect anything, just eat at a deficit and lose and don't make it complicated."

Then you get into, 'well this is actually complicated as kitten, you need to think about balancing hormones and counting carbs etc etc., Otherwise you're shooting yourself in the foot'

VERY confusing and conflicting messages

This is such a gross misrepresentation of both what is said in the Refeeds thread and what is said in other threads. Nowhere in over 4000 posts is homeostasis in fat loss suggested, it does discuss how cortisol-induced water retention can mask fat loss and thus produce the appearance of homeostasis, because scale weight may remain the same. Fat loss is still occurring, it just isn't reflected on the scale.

So in answer to the second line of your first post, I would say 'Yes'.