Back to balance- high carb vegan didn’t work.

Options
I am back to adding some eggs, dairy, fish and perhaps a little chicken into my diet and cutting down on the starch. I tried faithfully for 2 years trying to eat only plant based and it made me gain over 40 LBS.
Now I need to lose all of that weight.
I wanted so badly to stay plant based, but truly one diet doesn’t fit all.
Is anyone else in that boat?

Replies

• Ila1227
    Ila1227 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I eat mostly vegan myself but have thought of adding fish egga maybe. I am always high on macros but I don’t want to really eat meat or fish. Hard time with deciding
  • verlaine01
    verlaine01 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had a really hard struggle with my wanting to be good for animals and the planet. I followed all of the vegan doctors on YouTube, I love fruit, potatoes and beans and rice. But my weight and energy swings get worse. Upon my last doctors check up, she told me, she doesn’t see any negative cholesterol changes in people that eat a few eggs per day. And if I want to lose the excess fat, to add some eggs, fish and some dairy. And to ditch the excess carbs.
    To quote her, “ beans and rice are healthy” but they still in a way are sugar. Remember that. Your body sees it as slow sugar but sugar the same. Sigh, I wanted so bad to do what every successful vegan does. ....but I got fat and tired.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    verlaine01 wrote: »
    I am back to adding some eggs, dairy, fish and perhaps a little chicken into my diet and cutting down on the starch. I tried faithfully for 2 years trying to eat only plant based and it made me gain over 40 LBS.
    Now I need to lose all of that weight.
    I wanted so badly to stay plant based, but truly one diet doesn’t fit all.
    Is anyone else in that boat?

It's not the types of food you eat - it's the number of calories.

Your body uses a certain number of calories per day....it's called TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). Eat fewer calories than that number and you lose weight.

TDEE estimator: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Food choices are personal preferences. Good choices, or not so good choices......it's still about portion control. There are thin vegans and fat vegans.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    YouTube,

There's your problem. I'm happy that you've found a path to recovery.
  • verlaine01
    Options
    I fully agree. It is hard for me to control my hunger on lower calories and heavy starch.
  • verlaine01
    Options
    YouTube,

There's your problem. I'm happy that you've found a path to recovery.

Oh yes! Ditch the internet. Seriously.