Why 1200 calories isn’t for me

Options

Replies

• MandaLuvsHockey
    MandaLuvsHockey Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This has been a good food for thought post for me. I was doing MFP last year and did ok but I got so fed up trying to make meals I liked and stay within my set goals.
    I have started again and while I am at 1200/day I will look at it differently. I have already hooked up my fitbit to my account and I will use those extra calories when I choose to. I think this will make a huge difference as for the most part I felt full last time, I just just missing that little extra - the ketchup, a slice of cheese etc. Using just a 100-200 more per day should make a hugh difference.

There is so much information out there, and most of it contradicts so its really hard to know the right path to take at times :)
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I lost on 1200 before but just tried again to lose a few vanity lbs (0.5lb/week) and its been a disaster. Huge binge after just 10 days and I'm p sure I've messed up my period cycles. I am only 5'2" and 105lb so pretty small but it's still just not enough for me.

I was kinda doing it as a test of discipline as much as anything but didn't properly account for the fact I lift and run now and even eating back exercise calories to make it 1200kcal net is just not feasible.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I average around 1350. i maintain at 1600. As far as being satiated, a lot of it depends on your macros and if youve found the sweet spot of what keeps you full.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I never did 1200 either because I would have been hangry! I was able to lose 0.5lb a week eating 1600-1750 cals gross (depending on how active I was). I'm 5ft 2". I had 20lbs to lose. I did TRY to do 1200 but within a few weeks and reading on the forums here I realised I didn't have to deprive myself. In July I will be in maintenance 5 years. Just wish I'd have found MFP years ago.
  • MrsPinterest34
    MrsPinterest34 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I’m 5’1.5” (2). Started at 175lb currently 138lb. It’s been 1 year 4 months. MFP recommends 1290 cal for 1 pound a week with light activity. I’m guessing it wil be 1200 calories for 2lbs. Since I like to eat I’m okay with losing at a slow rate of 0.5lb a week or less. I eat between 1400-1500. If I walk 20,000k steps I eat up to 1700-1800. 1200 calories is not realistic for me, I want my body to slowly adjust to my new lower weight. I’m also trying to avoid lose skin since I have been big my entire life. So far the slow weight loss approach is working and I haven’t given up on any food. Im easily bored and enjoy cooking meals from different cultures. I’m just eating in moderation and keeping track of my intake and walking. This works well for me and it’s sustainable.
  • MandaLuvsHockey
    MandaLuvsHockey Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I’m 5’1.5” (2). Started at 175lb currently 138lb. It’s been 1 year 4 months. MFP recommends 1290 cal for 1 pound a week with light activity. I’m guessing it wil be 1200 calories for 2lbs. Since I like to eat I’m okay with losing at a slow rate of 0.5lb a week or less. I eat between 1400-1500. If I walk 20,000k steps I eat up to 1700-1800. 1200 calories is not realistic for me, I want my body to slowly adjust to my new lower weight. I’m also trying to avoid lose skin since I have been big my entire life. So far the slow weight loss approach is working and I haven’t given up on any food. Im easily bored and enjoy cooking meals from different cultures. I’m just eating in moderation and keeping track of my intake and walking. This works well for me and it’s sustainable.
    You are my goals -seriously. The only exception is I would like to get to about 160 (currently 180) faster than 0.5 a week, but once that is gone I am happy with a low number per week. What you are doing is sustainable to me so that gives me hope that I may be able to do similar :)

IDK but somewhere along the line I forgot that at some point I should be able to up the calories a bit as I dont always want to be losing 1-2 per week. That gives me something to look forward to.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    darlibby wrote: »
    I maintain on 1300s. Sucks.

That's low :/ , are you very petite/light/older?
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I'm a short, middle aged woman and would be biting my arm off if I tried to survive on 1200. I've been marathon training since the beginning of the year and was eating 3500-4000 Calories a day, put on 8lb during that time and started cutting again last week. I totally freaked when MFP gave me 1300 to eat, I can do that much in a meal if I'm fuelling for a long run the next day. But I forgot it adds my exercise/fitbit Calories on. Granted I'm an outlier as far as activity level goes but I worked out I could still eat 2500 Calories and lose just over 1lb/week.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I would freak out and binge after a week! But I’m 5’9 and my maintenance calories are about 2300. So I can lose a half pound a week on about 2000 calories and not lose my mind! Which is awesome!

I'm 5'5" but am in the same boat. 2000 calories for me to cut.
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    OP and others - do you feel 200 cals more makes a huge difference to perceived/hunger?
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Also OP - height, weight and age? I'm 40, 169cm and currently approx 62kg - I find I need about 1400 a day or I'm hangry and feel weak.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    Also OP - height, weight and age? I'm 40, 169cm and currently approx 62kg - I find I need about 1400 a day or I'm hangry and feel weak.

I'm 5'5" (165 cm) and 160 pounds (72.5 kg). I'm 41. For ME, a few more calories helps. It also helps me learn to eat healthy, not just eat 1200 calories. Again, just my experience.

• kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    To lose 1.5lb/week, mfp gives me 1280cal. I’m aiming for 1530cal, for 1lb/week. I’m 5’2 and about 200lbs.

But if you look at my diary it’s a little wonky. I spent my first week “back” trying to first just count what I was eating “normally” which was about 2100cal/day on a day where I didn’t binge. Then to find my minimum hunger level. I can eat below 1200 and not be starving (for a 2lb loss I’d need to eat 1030cal and while I’m never going to do that, it’s technically possible).

but meal timing at 1200 becomes crucial. I can’t wait to eat, I can’t eat dinner with my family because I need to eat at 3 or 4pm etc. If I wait, or something isn’t exact, I get headaches, fatigue, and brain fog. I’m not able to think about other things.

If I lived alone, maybe I could do 1280 but because I like eating socially (dinner with my family, dates with my SO, going out with friends) I need more room to maneuver. But I also try not to just eat when I’m not hungry to meet 1530 every day. If I’m sedentary and not with people I can take advantage and eat less to save those calories for something more fun than idk an extra yogurt or something. I like food!!