Going OVER in sugar?:)

Options
Hi guys,

In my fitness journal, the current things I have marked are: Calories, Carbs, Fat, Sodium, Protein, and Calcium because I feel they are most important.

One thing I decided not to mark however was sugar. The reason being was you're only allowed very little of it and no matter what you eat, even if the foods healthy, you'll most likely always go over by amounts possibly in the 50's or higher. This occurs even when the food you're eating is healthy.

My question is, is a high high sugar consumption particularly a bad thing if you're doing 30 minutes of elliptical trainer a day and getting 400 calories burning, as well as staying below your normal calorie goal?:) I'm going to assume I went over because of dirinking Sunny D, which is VERY healthy and high in vitamin C.

EDIT: This is how I went over, JUST through breakfast. This is what I ate:

- Toast with Jam
- Harvest crunch cerial ( quite healthy)
- Fat Free yogourt
- Sunny D orange juice.
Thanks,

Julien1.

Replies

• MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm not the expert here, but from what I've heard if the sugar is natural sugar from fruit, veggies, etc don't worry too much about it. Now if all that sugar is from cookies, cake etc, then you might have a problem.
  • suthuncat
    suthuncat Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi - I agree that if you are watching sugar from everything other than natural sources you should be ok. I have a personal trainer that has told me that going over sugar in ALL instances is not good but that's one of those pieces of advice that I tend to selectively listen to :) That being said, I don't go out and have a dozen apples, bananas, etc.

The big difference between sugar from fruits and that is they usually come with other things like fiber, vitamins, etc. Most refined sugar foods come only with extra calories, fats, and carbs.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Hi - I agree that if you are watching sugar from everything other than natural sources you should be ok. I have a personal trainer that has told me that going over sugar in ALL instances is not good but that's one of those pieces of advice that I tend to selectively listen to :) That being said, I don't go out and have a dozen apples, bananas, etc.

The big difference between sugar from fruits and that is they usually come with other things like fiber, vitamins, etc. Most refined sugar foods come only with extra calories, fats, and carbs.

Your personal trainer is correct. The whole premise of eting correctly is not to eat 3,4 or 5 servings of fruit per day. The daily recommendation for vegetables and fruits should come from vegetables first and foremost, fruit should be treated as a dessert or a treat and most people don't do that.

Most people make fruit a staple in their eating plan and it doesn't have a place as a staple, it should be something eaten in smaller amounts.........people also aren't taking in account that fruits of today are way sweeter than they used to be and they are larger too, so that is even more sugar..............

Too much sugar (YES, even natural sugar) can cause Leptin resistance and Leptin Resistance is VERY real.

If you eat mostly veggies, maybe 1 serving a fruit per day you will not go over your sugar grams.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Sunny D is filled with added sugar, so I'm not sure how it's "VERY" healthy as you say. A fresh orange? That's healthy. Fruit juices with added sugar are not.

Most granolas and flavored "low fat" yogurts are also loaded with added sugar. So, as an alternate, look for granolas made without added sugar, and yogurts with low sugar content - Greek or strained yogurt, then add your own fruit, oats, nuts, etc.