Have you done the Strong Curves program?

Options
justjara123
justjara123 Posts: 63 Member
edited April 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
I’ve changed my workout routine (pilates 1-2x, CrossFit 1-2x, lifting 1-2x = 3-4 workouts per week) to 3x Strong Curves as was recommended to me in a previous thread + 2x running.

I’m really trying to build my booty (getting it to catch up to my quads) while reducing my BF % so I was wondering if people have “success” stories after going through this program.
Also, I have a few questions:
- did you make diet changes to up protein and reduce carbs?
- if I find the exercises too easy (the leg workouts are body weight but I’ve been lifting for about 6 months), would it be okay for me to add in weights this early on?
- can I fit in an abs routine afterwards? Or is this meant to help me build my abdominal muscles as well?

This is my first time trying out a legit program (I’ve just been going to fitness classes + lifting by myself) so I’m not sure if this even the only thing I’m supposed to be doing, if I’m supposed to be doing my own strength workouts outside of this, if this program is even right for me, etc so please do be patient with me.

Also if anyone has before and after photos from this program, I’d love to see them as motivation!

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I have run Strong Curves in the past (right now I run a sister/spin-off program, it is very similar). I first ran the lower body program during a bulk, then I did a modified version of the beginner/bodyweight while I was pregnant, then the advanced program after.

In terms of diet, if you want to recomp (so losing fat and gaining some muscle over time), you want to make sure you eat around maintenance, also protein should be around 0.8-1g per lb bodyweight, fat 0.35-0.6g per lb bodyweight and the rest carbs. These are minimums so you can play around a bit to suit your needs.

Provided your form is right, then yea you can definitely add weight to the lifts to add resistance.

There are usually two ab exercises at the end of each session, and the compound lifts are pretty sufficient for ab building but you can add more in if you want.

Some people love the program, some people love it over time, and for some it is just not for them. I was hesitant at first because I came from that typical bro-split lifting background, so it was strange to me but once the results followed I was hooked. :)
  • sardelsa
    Options

HAHA.. I was just posting but thanks for the tag ;)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

HAHA.. I was just posting but thanks for the tag ;)

LOL. You had to be typing up your answer while I was...
  • justjara123
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @sardelsa you were actually someone who recommended the program to me in a previous thread hahah. You recommended a lean bulk as well. Haven’t thought about it but I’ve noticed I’ve started eating more? Mostly an extra serving of meat with dinner or I’ll double up on my fruit when I snack. I don’t like to count calories but I can try it for a while to make sure I’m getting the right macros in. I don’t expect a big difference in the next month or two but I just want to know if this will put me in a good place for healthy progress?

I can generally get in 2000 calories on workout days. I’m 5’0 and 98 pounds.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Oh yes I did thank you for reminding me!

Well I would probably hang out at maintenance for a bit and see how you feel with your progress. Then think about adding more calories to gain at some point later if that is what you want. If you don't want to track your cals just pay attention to your weight trends over time.

You can also join this group, it is pretty active if you have questions and many ladies in there recomping as well with great results

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/113531-strong-curves-by-bret-contreras-and-kellie-davis-ladies-only
  • justjara123
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! MFP says my maintenance is 1560 calories but I’m usually eating 1600-2000 (I log completely every now and then just to get a good idea of my calorie intake) and stay within 96-98lbs.

I’m happy with how I’m eating now but I’ll watch my fruit and crackers snacking and incorporate more protein to see if it’ll help get my jeans to fit my thighs better in a couple weeks lol.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I took the plunge and bought the Strong Curves book and OMG I am so glad I did! I'm less concerned with making my booty look a certain way, but the glute and core work really helps with running a ton. I was really struggling with trying to read NROLFW and SL 5x5. It just wasn't clicking for me, but it wasn't really what I needed/wanted.

I've only had the book one day, but I love love love love love the pictures of the exercises. I am definitely a person who needs to see it done to do it myself, and this book nails it. I love the warm up and the foam rolling being built into part of the program. I'm going to play with the warm-up exercises for a few weeks to improve some of my mobility (which is another reason why I chose this program), and then get serious about Bootyful Beginnings after my HM mid-June. I have no races between June and Sept, so this is a great time to work on my strength training while keeping a running base.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

Agreed.
  • laceyn18
    laceyn18 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Well I would probably hang out at maintenance for a bit and see how you feel with your progress. Then think about adding more calories to gain at some point later if that is what you want. If you don't want to track your cals just pay attention to your weight trends over time.

You can also join this group, it is pretty active if you have questions and many ladies in there recomping as well with great results

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/113531-strong-curves-by-bret-contreras-and-kellie-davis-ladies-only

Dumb question. I’ve requested to join the group( maybe a week or so ago) but I can’t seem to get to the page. If I follow the link it just says to join but there’s no other links on the page. Maybe I’m doing something wrong or it wasn’t approved?
  • sardelsa
    Options
    laceyn18 wrote: »

Dumb question. I’ve requested to join the group( maybe a week or so ago) but I can’t seem to get to the page. If I follow the link it just says to join but there’s no other links on the page. Maybe I’m doing something wrong or it wasn’t approved?

I will tag the group owner @tiffanylacourse maybe she hasn't seen your request and can sort it out
  • diamondexxtasy
    diamondexxtasy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would like to join that group as well