Fitbit VS Apple Watch

Options

I didn't want to convert straight to the Apple Watch without comparing the differences between Apple and Fitbit first. So I've been using BOTH.

Here are the results for the past few days:

Sunday: Fitbit I ate 80 cal over - Apple I ate 120 cal under _big difference!!
Saturday: Fitbit I ate 79 cal over - Apple I ate 1 cal under
Friday: Fitbit I ate 14 cal over - Apple I ate 45 cal under

Note: my fitbit doesn't measure my heart rate, but the Apple Watch does.

Which results do you think are more accurate?

Just wondering what other perspectives are on this?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Nobody can say. Pick one and follow your progress for a month to determine how accurate it is.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Be aware that Apple has not changed their method of doing things to correctly sync with MFP.

MFP expects a daily calorie burn, everything - to correct itself and update your eating goal so your deficit is reasonable.

Apple appears to maintain one figure for base calorie burn based on who knows what, and a separate figure for workout calories.

It sends the first figure as total daily burn, and it sends the workouts across with their calorie burn.

The effect on MFP is actually a subtraction of your workout calories from your eating goal in essence.

So you do not have an easy to use system.

To correct you must take each workout synced over and double the calorie count.

As to accuracy - depends on what you were doing.

HR is bad estimate for calorie burn on lower end of aerobic range, if Apple watch was slipping into HR-based calorie burn when you were merely walking harder, then that's inflated.
    But by steps is accurate - if the distance is correct.

So you have many things that could effect potential accuracy either direction, on both devices.
    The above effect for ease of use may be more annoying than that though.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    Options
    Apple watch sync with MFP is totally broken.

Your trending weight average as compared to what you've logged will determine which estimate is more accurate.
  • Hipp706
    Hipp706 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have an Apple Watch, I just use it to motivate myself, trying to get as much ‘move, activity and stands’ in a day rather than focusing on the calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    either or neither...it's all estimation.