Too old to weight lift

Replies

• Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    I started when I was 63, I'm now 64. I love it
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I'm 55. I'm not too old. You're not either.

It was only yesterday that I bought the cheap stuff. It is only today that I have attempted to begin.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    I'm 62,started when I was 60. You're never too old! My doctor told me that retaining and building muscle is even more important as we age.
    My progress has been slow and at times I've had to go backwards but that's because of other health issues not because of age.
  • allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    edited May 2018
    If you're too old, at 56 I'd have been way too old. So you're just right. I also have been a runner, although just this year I'm scaling back on distances and taking on other things--newest fascination is spinning. I figure variety keeps me interested.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I started at 49. The one thing I would say is that if you have been sedentary, progress slowly at first. Old tendons develop more slowly than old muscles and it's easy to get injured - I was told to never do anything that hurt, but my injuries never hurt at the time. I would be lifting something that felt fine and the next day have an injury. I learned the hard way! So go slow at first, until you have a base to work from.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    OP I am only a year younger than you, you are young. :smile:

Follow a structured lifting program for best results.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Two additional links for helping with fat loss:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

and for when you get near or reach goal weight

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat#latest

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    edited May 2018
    This thread also reminded me of the following recent article about a 90 yr old female "powerlifter" in Napa, CA:

http://www.ktvu.com/news/napa-woman-92-is-oldest-to-compete-in-sanctioned-weight-lifting-event

Of course, she's not lifting that much weight in an absolute sense and she "wins" because no one else her age in her class is competing but the point is that she doesn't think that she's "too old to lift at 90."

It's not the only such story that you can find on the Net.
  • fineaswine62
    fineaswine62 Posts: 4 Member
    Absolutely not. I am 67 and lift weights 2-3 times every week at the gym. Not only does building building keep my muscles toned, it helps so much with my posture and and overall vitality. I like the added energy and strength that building muscle offers. It's very nice to be able to take all my groceries in at once and to be able to do chores that managing a household requires. I would recommend that you educate yourself either by hiring a trainer or going on line and looking at some videos or reading.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I started at 59 and 300 lbs. I do not accept excuses from anyone! Just take it in small steps!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Get lifting young lady :smile: some great links have already been posted for you :smile:
  • walktalkdog
    walktalkdog Posts: 102 Member
    sarnies wrote: »
    Hi everyone, im wanting to start weight lifting at the ripe old age of 51, im a runner so used to gym work, the problem is that I stopped exercising last year and put on weight but now I'm getting back into it, I need to loss 14lb of flab to get back to 9st 4, my question is am i too old to start this and get good results

Oh, H**l no, you are not too old!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    sarnies wrote: »
    . . . my question is am i too old to start this and get good results

They key for anyone new to lifting is to start light and increase the weight gradually in order to lay the foundation for heavier lifting while also avoiding injury.

Excellent advice!

I'm 54 and started lifting 3 years ago. I've never been athletic in my life.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    edited May 2018
    I thought I was a late starter at 42 years...look at you guys :o Amazing!
  • Foxgym
    Foxgym Posts: 59 Member
    Fact is it becomes more important to lift weights the older you get, so you go for it. Most gyms will have trainers who can give you a programme and advice on correct form.
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    No. You’re not too old. I never lifted a weight in my life until I was 53. I only started when I was so weak (after illness) I couldn’t sit upright for more than about 20 mins. A year later, I’m stronger than I’ve been for 20 years or more.
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    I'm 58. Making solid gains. SL5X5 Starting Strength. Go for it!