decent nutrition, lots of exercise. STILL Gaining weight!

Options
I understand that things take time but I have been logging nearly a month now and bouncing between the same 5lbs. I jog/walk at least 8-10 miles a week, hike mountains and do yoga to burn on average 500 calories a day 3-4 days a week and have cut my calories back to about 1200 AFTER exercise, more like 1500-1800 before hand. My BMR is about 1450 so I want to make sure I at at least eat that much. Will some one check out my diary and let me know where I can improve?

Replies

• Penny_Harrison
    Penny_Harrison Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Sorry your diary is not open so can't view it.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Overestimation on exercise calories or intake? Inconsistent logging? It has only been a month? People will need more info.
    Also, your diary is not open.
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize it was locked, how do I unlock it? I use a heart rate monitor, calories are accurate and log faithfully every bite I take in.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize it was locked, how do I unlock it? I use a heart ate monitor, calories are accurate and log faithfully every bites take in.

Settings>>diary setting>>>set to public
  • PhoenixStrikes
    Options
    Thanks, please excuse me from before but it is open now.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize it was locked, how do I unlock it? I use a heart rate monitor, calories are accurate and log faithfully every bite I take in.

I also second opening your diary.

Please keep in mind that HRMs are not the be all end all that many people make them out to be.

First of all, under ideal circumstances their calorie estimation is based on steady state cardio. And there are a number of things that can affect their accuracy on top of that.

Two great posts on the matter
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/773451-is-my-hrm-giving-me-incorrect-calorie-burn

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1044313-this-is-why-hrms-have-limited-use-for-tracking-calories
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Are you using a reliable HRM with a chest strap? You don't look very big and your burns for 45 minutes of walking or running look really high. If you're eating those back could be a big part of your issue.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Thanks, please excuse me from before but it is open now.

You don't have a weight posted but with 12 lbs to lose and looking at your pic, you aren't burning 500 calories walking for 45 minutes. Consider that the "average" burn for running is about 100 calories per mile, you are burning more walking for 45 minutes than most would running 5 miles in a similar time.

if you have a polar you can check this out
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/548645-setup-polar-hrm-for-more-accurate-calorie-burn-for-known-bmr?page=20

Also, how do you measure your food?
  • crisbabe81
    crisbabe81 Posts: 170
    Options
    I would change your macros to a lower percent of carb intake. I personally have mine set to 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein. I lose 1-2lbs a week. I'm working out 4-6 times a week and it works good for me. I would do more brown carbs (brown rice, whole grains etc).

Do you weigh and measure all your food. That is another common mistake is estimations, you could be consuming more (or less) than you thought if you aren't measuring and weighing your food.
  • PhoenixStrikes
    Options
    Yes, it's got a chest strap and when I burn those calories I'm pushing myself into a 12 or 13 minute mile in 115 degree weather, I'm definitely burning calories. Also, I push a 4 person stroller with over a 100lbs of kids in it up hills part of the way. That's something the MPF app does not take into consideration. I weigh around 155lbs and am 5'6".
  • Having the same problem and it is driving me crazy!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's got a chest strap and when I burn those calories I'm pushing myself into a 12 or 13 minute mile in 115 degree weather, I'm definitely burning calories. Also, I push a 4 person stroller with over a 100lbs of kids in it up hills part of the way. That's something the MPF app does not take into consideration. I weigh around 155lbs and am 5'6".

The temperature does not affect your calorie burn.

Well, you are either overestimating your calorie burn, or underestimating your calorie intake.

Do you weigh your food?
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Heat will affect the perceived exertion, however, it does not affect calorie burn. If you read the link above, heat is one of the factors that affects a HRM accuracy. Yes, you will burn a bit more pushing more with the stroller but it is still a high burn.

ETA - how do you measure your food?
  • PhoenixStrikes
    Options
    Great suggestion on the brown rice and what not, that's an excellent point. Also, yes those calories are accurate. I move for 45-60 mins non stop pushing a 100+ stroller with 4 kids in it. My heart rate is over 150 and some times as high as 190 when I'm really working. I do use a polar so I'm checking out that link now.
  • PhoenixStrikes
    Options
    Yes I track my food with cups and measuring spoons and all those good things.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Yes I track my food with cups and measuring spoons and all those good things.

Get a scale. It is the most accurate.
    You are over/underestimating somewhere. If you don't think it s exercise, it has to be food.
  • PhoenixStrikes
    Options
    Thank you! I actually had one and accidentally left it on the stove after I turned the oven on. The outcome was... Depressing. It's definitely on my list but I need new running shoes first!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Cups are not accurate for solids. Buy yourself a scale its more important than the shoes of your serious about losing weight
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I suggest giving it some more time. I bet your gaining muscle. If your pants are fitting more loosely, then I think your doing fine.
  • PhoenixStrikes
    Options
    Yes! Either way I'm feeling better! And isn't that what really counts?