Goal weight for ladies who are 5’6?

Replies

• gillrushhh
    gillrushhh Posts: 12 Member
    What is the “5 lbs” rule of thumb??
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    I'm 5'6.5" and my goal weight is 135, but I'll probably adjust that up or down, as appropriate when I get there. It's how I look, and body comp that I am most concerned with, so I may even go through a phase (or 5) of trying to gain muscle, and then cutting fat again to get the look I desire.
  • aliblain
    aliblain Posts: 175 Member
    The last picture is yesterday at 166lb. The first was at around 20lb heavier. I’m 5 foot 7 and an apple. I need to be in the lower end of the healthy bmi to get rid of my abdominal fat.
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    edited May 2018
    I'm 5 ft 6 and aiming to get up to 112 lbs (8 stone exactly) but it really does depends on frame size and how muscular you are (I'm not particularly muscular...). Some of these ladies look like they're at their perfect weight but it varies from person to person- someone looks slim at 145 whilst another looks equally as slim at 120. I think age is a factor as well. I don't know how old you are but I think people look better if they have a bit more weight as they get older
  • mrs_kurz
    mrs_kurz Posts: 185 Member
    My goal is 121-126lbs. I'm currently 145 and still look really chunky. part of that is that I haven't spent time getting fit before, so I have a fair amount of fat to come off before I can reveal any kind of muscle underneath. I carry quite a bit of weight around my face and legs/hips. My lowest weight ever so far has been 134lbs and I was pretty happy there, but felt another 10lbs would make a big difference, so this time I'm sticking with it
  • fitand50inSD
    fitand50inSD Posts: 166 Member
    I am 5' 7" and like how I look at 125 (profile pic is around that weight). Started at 145 last year - low was 124.5 and maintenance is 125-130.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    I'm 5'8" and my GW is 130, and the rule of thumb for women is 5 lbs per inch, so if I was 5'6" goal would be 120. But everyone has different bone structure, different build, and different muscle mass. Some 5'6" chicks may look best at 145 and some may look best at 115. My own structure looks best at the lower end of healthy weight. It all depends.

Actually, that rule of thumb is 100 lbs for 5' and 5 lbs per inch over, so 5'6 is 130. And that is generally considered the middle.

I definitely agree that it depends, though. My current goal is just to be less than my 5'10 husband and we will see from there.
  • rachelcalsbeek
    rachelcalsbeek Posts: 185 Member
    I started around 198 lbs and my original goal was 150. I have been hovering between 153-157 lbs for the last few months, because I haven't been as strict with my nutrition, and I'm relatively happy with how I've been looking. After my vacation next week, I'd like to work to get down to 150 and evaluate from there. I don't think I'd want to go lower than 140.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I'm 5' 6.5". My original goal was 140, but I reached it and kept going. I'm now around 130 pounds and very happy.

I'm also 5'6.5". I'm most comfortable at 130. I'm up around 140 or so right now, as the pounds slid on a bit whilst I was transitioning through menopause. I'm finding it challenging to lose them, but that's not so surprising given the small margin of error.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2018
    I'm 5'8" and my GW is 130, and the rule of thumb for women is 5 lbs per inch, so if I was 5'6" goal would be 120. But everyone has different bone structure, different build, and different muscle mass. Some 5'6" chicks may look best at 145 and some may look best at 115. My own structure looks best at the lower end of healthy weight. It all depends.

The rule of thumb always *was* 100Lbs at 5' and 5lbs per inch thereafter. That would be 140 for 5'8" and 130 for 5'6".
    That was always just a guideline of course. It's what I used when setting my original goal, and what turned out to feel best for me.
  • GirlVersusFat
    GirlVersusFat Posts: 31 Member
    I'm 24 and5'6 started out at 204, and my original goal weight was 150 I'm currently 131 my new goal weight 125 I want to hover around 125-130
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I'm 5'4" and currently weigh 165 lbs at age 29. My goal is currently 147 lbs based on body fat percentage goal of about 22% (currently at 30-31%, lean mass of about 114 lbs). Like others, this goal may change as I get closer. My main goal is fat reduction and the scale doesn't tell you that.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    I'm just barely 5'7", so I'll chime in! I'm currently 138 and pretty happy with how I am looking, but still have a little to lose. My initial goal was 135, and to set 135-140 as my maintenance range. I may shoot for 130. Not sure yet, but I will reassess when I hit 135. Realistically I was also pretty content with how I looked at 145. It's all just vanity now, doing it just to say I could, and a little bit of competition with my high school self haha. I'm 36 and now weigh less than I did in high school!
  • fitinitin
    fitinitin Posts: 16 Member
    135 is the goal. Been there before, looked and felt great. Need to stay focused on healthy lifestyle choices (moderation), daily cardio, portions sizes and logging every bite. I dipped below 130 for a bit but that was too much, I didn’t feel strong @ lower weight. Without tracking food & exercise my body hovers around 150. I don’t know what my body fat% : lean muscle %. I’ve read that is more important as we age. I just don’t feel as energetic when my weight is near 150. Much more energetic around 135.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I am 5'7". My goal is always changing. Right now my goal weight will probably be 135-138lbs. In the past it was 125, 127, 129. My ultimate goal will be to be 140-145lb lean. Many more muscle building cycles required for that though.
  • Steph1015
    Steph1015 Posts: 119 Member
    I'm 5'6 my goal weight is 135-140
  • MaKaylaH2002
    MaKaylaH2002 Posts: 1 Member
    I’m 161 and my goal weight is 130 but I’m focusing more on getting rid of love handles so when ever that happens I’m satisfied.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!