MFP recipes - can you choose a portion by weight?

Hi all - I've logged a few recipes with ingredients but I noticed you can only choose portions by setting the number of serves in a recipe. I want to do it by weight. Anyone know if I can do this?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Set the number of servings as the total weight of the meal. So if you have 200 grams of it, you can log 200 servings.
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    ok will do - I tend to make large batches though! Will just have to weigh in batches I guess. Thanks.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    edited May 2018
    You can set the servings as high as you need to for the total weight. Just make sure to subtract the weight of the pan or bowl from the total.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Set the number of servings as the total weight of the meal. So if you have 200 grams of it, you can log 200 servings.

How do you set the serving size then? I didn't see a place for it. I know what mine are but if I share some I want to help the next person use them correctly. I like big salads so my light salad dressing recipe typically makes 9 servings of 1/4 cup of dressing. The typical salad dressing is, of course, 2 tablespoons but I can double that for the same amount of calories which is what I did.
  • serindipte
    edited May 2018
    NovusDies wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »

How do you set the serving size then? I didn't see a place for it. I know what mine are but if I share some I want to help the next person use them correctly. I like big salads so my light salad dressing recipe typically makes 9 servings of 1/4 cup of dressing. The typical salad dressing is, of course, 2 tablespoons but I can double that for the same amount of calories which is what I did.

When you enter the recipe, set that number of servings as the total grams you have. For instance, when I make a big salad, I weigh everything as I put it in for the recipe entry, then weigh the total minus the bowl. That total is what I set on "Number of servings" in the recipe area. When I then eat the salad, I weigh what I am eating and put that as number of servings in my log, so it works out to gram weight.
  • NovusDies
    Ok. I see. I am a little dense this morning apparently.
  • NovusDies
    Wait, tho, how do I tell someone else the serving sizes are grams? Am I still missing something? I don't feel well today so my head is a little foggy.
  • serindipte
    Wait, tho, how do I tell someone else the serving sizes are grams? Am I still missing something? I don't feel well today so my head is a little foggy.

Who else matters? Recipes aren't shareable (unless that's changed) so the only one that needs to know is you. :) If it matters to you, you could always include it in the description of the recipe: "Salad 1g/serving"
  • NovusDies
    I can set mine to be shared or keep private. Good idea on the description. I hadn't thought of that.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    ok will do - I tend to make large batches though! Will just have to weigh in batches I guess. Thanks.

Same here. I cook for five, and do some batch cooking. This is why I got the big (and expensive, unfortunately) Oxo scale. Max weight = 22 lbs. I think it's worth the price.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Stainless-Display-22-Pound/dp/B007WTI8J2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525182183&sr=8-1&keywords=oxo+22+lb+scale&dpID=41KaS6D5vkL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    I can set mine to be shared or keep private. Good idea on the description. I hadn't thought of that.

Don't believe everything the MFP software tells you. A long time ago, MFP thought they would offer a share recipe feature, but they never did. You can not share your personal recipes directly with another user. You can log a saved personal recipe to a meal slot in your Diary, and another user that has access to your Diary can quick tools copy the entire meal, then delete unwanted items.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    I weigh the finish product minus the pot or pan. Then divide by the serving size I select. Then when I measure my servings to make sure I'm serving the correct amount. For Instance, I made a pot of black beans/tomato taco mix, the total weight of the mix was 932g. I set it to 4 servings of 233g each. So now If I want to warm up the mix, I scoop out 233g into a pot and warm it up. That said, that's a lot of food, so I will do a half serving of 115g.
  • NovusDies
    CyberTone wrote: »
    Don't believe everything the MFP software tells you. A long time ago, MFP thought they would offer a share recipe feature, but they never did. You can not share your personal recipes directly with another user. You can log a saved personal recipe to a meal slot in your Diary, and another user that has access to your Diary can quick tools copy the entire meal, then delete unwanted items.

Good to know. Thx. I assumed it would work since it seems to be a fairly obvious feature to the site.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    i'll typically label a recipe
    rice casserole (10g serving size) - so I know in the title who I am using for a serving (one of the problems with using the weight for a serving size, is that you see only 0/0/0 for like a 1g serving) - I found 10g or 1oz work better for me
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    you can choose to share foods you add but not recipes.
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    I weigh the finish product minus the pot or pan. Then divide by the serving size I select. Then when I measure my servings to make sure I'm serving the correct amount. For Instance, I made a pot of black beans/tomato taco mix, the total weight of the mix was 932g. I set it to 4 servings of 233g each. So now If I want to warm up the mix, I scoop out 233g into a pot and warm it up. That said, that's a lot of food, so I will do a half serving of 115g.

eek - when I make bolognaise I will have up to 300g! lol
  • kpsyche
    kpsyche Posts: 345 Member

What is this then: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/view/274362015763581

Seems like sharing a recipe to me(?)
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member

eek - when I make bolognaise I will have up to 300g! lol

I don't think its possible to not over eat Italian food!
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    kpsyche wrote: »

I have not seen that capability before. I am not part of the beta testing team. Possibly MFP is beta testing a recipe sharing feature on the web version, or it may be a part of the recent mobile app releases? I only use a three year old version of MFP for Android, so I am not familiar with the newest mobile app features.
  • kpsyche
    kpsyche Posts: 345 Member
    kpsyche wrote: »

I have not seen that capability before. I am not part of the beta testing team. Possibly MFP is beta testing a recipe sharing feature on the web version, or it may be a part of the recent mobile app releases? I only use a three year old version of MFP for Android, so I am not familiar with the newest mobile app features.

I'm not really sure. It seems that so long as you have the URL for a recipe you can give that URL to others and they can view it. I can't see an option to make them private or public though so it's a bit mysterious.