New/Old

Hi! I'm returning user of fitnesspal. My hopes of loosing weight are already low, however I'm struggling to keep on dreaming and acting, eating healthy food and some activities. I'm pre-diabetic and also my thyroid is not working well. Sometimes I have a feeling that I can eat healthy, be active and still gain weight. Now I weight 238 pounds and could use some tips/tricks from people also suffering from thyroid and diabetic problems. I'm so afraid of loosing my mobility from being obese :(

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Maybe if you educate yourself on how weightloss (and gain) works, it will be easier? You lose weight when you consistently, for real, and over time, take in fewer calories than you burn. For weight, it makes no difference where those calories come from. For health, you should eat a varied and balanced diet. Moving your body is good for you.
  • khunjit_js
    khunjit_js Posts: 8 Member
    I also have hypothyroid and probably pre-diabetic as well. I'm not in my best shape but these are what works so far :

1. I get my check-up yearly and make sure I am compliant with prescribed meds.

2. Start small : I track my steps-- starting from 5000 steps/day and increase by 100 steps each month (knowing it would take me years to where I want to be).

3. Find a different "reward" and make a switch. For example, I switch to sunflower shoots soup. They are $5 a box so it feels special.I only eat them on a special day - instead of ice cream.

4. Know that different things can affect your weight. I track my weight but don't get all worked up when I gain. I find joy in other things like reaching my new step goals.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Are you on meds for your thyroid? If not, you need to see a doctor. Once you're on meds then your thyroid has nothing to do with losing or gaining weight. And I can say that because I'm on meds for my thyroid (in case people tell me I don't know what I'm talking about :) )
  • PrittyPiton
    PrittyPiton Posts: 25 Member
    Thank you all for advices. I'm not on meds, as my doctor is convinced that they will do more damage than good for me. However I'm planing a visit soon. For now - I'm drinking a green smoothie every morning with chia seeds, spirulina, 1 banana + lemon. Then trying to keep up paleo diet. However I'm struggling with bindge eating.