Running Shoes

Options
Hi my fellow fitness friends! I’m in the market for new running shoes. I currently have Nike Roshes and before that, I had Nike Lunarglide 6s. What does everyone recommend? I run mainly on paved roads, and might use the shoes for indoor workouts as well.

Replies

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Everyone's feet, gait, and mileage are different, so most runners would say to go to a local running store, share your goals with them, show them the wear pattern on your existing shoes, and then take their advice.

My old shoes were discontinued, so I had to find a new model. My local running store set me up with Saucony Kinvaras, in a men's size to suit my foot shape and gait. Very happy with them.

Good luck!
  • lisawilkes20
    lisawilkes20 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have Brooks, but I only bought my original pair purely for my size & liked the look of them, when I needed a new pair I bought the same again as I have'nt had any problems whilst using them.
    Have you had your gait analysis done? Just thinking that may help your decision?
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Agree with @cwolfman13 and @__TMac__ - its best to go to a running store.

I recently went to one in my town and I was very happy with the service. They asked me about how I would be using them, watched me walk to study my gait, etc. The shoes they recommended (Saucony Ride 10) have worked out great!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I've got about 10 pairs of shoes based on what I want/need/like. But that's based on what I want/need/like and may have nothing to do with what you want/need/like. So the best shoe for you is what ever fits you the best. If you've had good luck with nike, then I'd start looking there. Try on a bunch, see what feels the best and what supports your foot/stride the best.

Getting fitted is rarely a bad thing, but not always necessary.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi my fellow fitness friends! I’m in the market for new running shoes. I currently have Nike Roshes and before that, I had Nike Lunarglide 6s. What does everyone recommend? I run mainly on paved roads, and might use the shoes for indoor workouts as well.

Don't use your running shoes for other workouts...

And I agree with everyone about being fit for shoes. I'm a new balance girl myself, but that doesn't mean they would be right for you.
  • jjpptt2
    Options

And I agree with everyone about being fit for shoes. I'm a new balance girl myself, but that doesn't mean they would be right for you.

Wait, you're a girl??? For years I've been reading your username as TravisToadstock... lol. wrong on all accounts.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

Wait, you're a girl??? For years I've been reading your username as TravisToadstock... lol. wrong on all accounts.

I get that a lot....
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

I get that a lot....

I once referred to her as "Mr. Toad". oops.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you're considering changing brands and models? I find what I like and continue. But, that just might be me. You have to use what you like to use. My shoe may not be right for you, Your shoe may not be right for me. And what may be popular may not be right for anyone. Get thee to a running store for a fitting and find what's right for you.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

Asics. Any Asics. I love them so much - and I have a reconstructed foot so I'm kind of a sneaker snob LOL
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Asics. Any Asics. I love them so much - and I have a reconstructed foot so I'm kind of a sneaker snob LOL

My husband has just bought his first pair, they are asics.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

I get that a lot....

I once referred to her as "Mr. Toad". oops.

I'll soon get banned from the forums, so in my reincarnation I'll try and pick a more gender specific name!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    The best shoe is one suited to your feet and gait. Go to a running store and get fitted. Don't just buy whatever brand someone on the internet recommends. What works for my feet may not work for your feet.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    The best shoe is one suited to your feet and gait. Go to a running store and get fitted. Don't just buy whatever brand someone on the internet recommends. What works for my feet may not work for your feet.

Not to mention that most shoe manufacturers make a variety of shoes with a variety of fits... so even within a given brand, 1 shoe may be great and another may be awful.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    as people have said, go to a local running store. they can help you. and you get to meet local runners

sidenote: i can't stand asics. toebox is too small and it is too tight midfoot
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    Options
    I’ve used brooks, Nike, new balance, saucony, tried adidas but they were all way too narrow for my fat feet. Saucony are my favorite by far. Fit the best and most comfortable.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

My husband has just bought his first pair, they are asics.

Your husband? Are you gay?

<<runs and hides under desk>>
    :)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    So, I like the Asics I bought, and bought another pair around Christmas, just to have on hand (they were on sale).

Then I decided to try a mid drop instead and dropped ~$200 on some Hoka's. Bad idea. Gave me shin splints. Not sure if it was the drop, not enough support or what but I put less than 100KM on them when I gave up on them.

So, even though they were good shoes and should have worked, I am back to my Asics. Managed to get $100 for them so I'm not out a lot.
  • smeebles
    smeebles Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I run in Saucony currently. My wife just got fitted today and ended up with Asics. I’m more neutral, and she over pronates. Go to a running store