Benefits of Strength Training and Cardio.

Options
Hi Funky Party People!

I've been running 3-4 times a week since late December and have only seen minor weight loss. The goal is to lose about 10 more pounds and tone up a little.

In the past, I've been terrible at juggling weight training AND cardio exercises. I can do one or the other... When I focused on strength, I definitely was stronger - obviously. But it seemed all the work I did was still buried under fat. SO, I started focusing on cardio. This increased my endurance but I still wasn't achieving much.

Yes, nutrition and caloric intake is probably the biggest area I should dedicate my focus to for weight loss. But I don't even want to focus on that. I want to dissect the benefits of strength training and cardio!

Just last week, I started sprinkling some weight training into my cardio dense mix. I've only had two days of strength related gym days so far so it's too early to tell if this blend of exercises will be the key for me! I can really only go to the gym at lunch so I can't increase my gym time by much to accommodate both well. I end up reducing my cardio to about 20 minutes so I can do about 30 of strength. I intend to keep some days reserved exclusively for cardio.

Thoughts? Expertise on strength training? Expertise on cardio? What's the benefit of each?

Thanks!
Alicia

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    dedicate 3 days totally to strength to transform the body the most.
    45 min enough for full body compound moves most major muscles to cause most damage to get most benefit.

2 other days to cardio for heart health.

Figure out a way to focus on the diet to show the good results of both, in a manner you can do so - but it has to be done or the exercise won't matter for fat loss - even though you likely may look better anyway.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Have you considered alternating days of cardio with days of strength training? I don't mix the two unless I'm using the cardio as a warm up for the strength training session (10 minutes on the elliptical perhaps). After a good run I don't have the time or interest in adding a weight session. Both cardio and strength training are wonderful for your overall health and well being; the benefits of each are well documented. As to losing weight I'm afraid you are really going to need to focus on caloric intake and output as this is really all that matters when it comes to shedding pounds.
  • swagoner94
    swagoner94 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Your nutrition and calorie intake is the primary driver for reaching your desired goals. Neglecting focus on diet will not help you with fat loss, fueling and proper recovery from your exercise and handling your day to day activities. Protein is essential for strength training and fat loss as well.

I would look into a 3 day total body strength program and add in cardio on alternate days All the benefits have been covered in posts above.

Sweet. thank you! Yes, I didn't mean to say that I want to disregard nutrition altogether. I just meant that I wanted this thread to better educate me on the benefits of cardio and strength training. I know full well to achieve results will depend mostly on nutrition :)
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I do Strength six days a week, followed by a long walk everyday. I find this to be a perfect blend of strength cardio for ME. What works for you maybe different. If you like to do Cardio focused routine and sprinkle in some strength that's fine too. None of it will matter if you're not on Calorie Deficit, though. If you want to lose the belly fat you need to eat fewer calories than you put out. Sometimes people who do long distance cardio like runners, bikers, swimmers can be super hungry all the time and thus making it tough to meet their calorie goals. Some people who lift weights are so focused on building muscle they eat too much and go over their calories. Some people prefer the long lean look you can get from running, some people the like the curvy and round look you can get from body building. Some people like an athletic balanced look. That is up to you and your genes. But if you can't manage your calories you're not going lose the Body Fat that covers everything up.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Both. I love the muscle definition I have from the strength training. And the extra calories and aerobic endurance from the cardio. I can't stand hampster wheels though - none of my cardio is in the gym (mix of dancing, running, cycling, hiking, orienteering). I have set days/times that I go to the gym for strength training (before work 3 days/wk), and various windows of time before dance events to run (in what would otherwise be wasted time)+dance events most days of the week + some group runs/cycling I enjoy + weekend hiking/orienteering... But for weight loss, you definitely need to watch the calorie intake -- it's really easy to quickly wolf down way more calories than burned after strenuous cardio when you are ravenously hungry.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    I'm with @RoxieDawn; a 3-day/full body strength routine to alternate with cardio would be more beneficial towards your stated goals of losing some fat and "toning up".
  • swagoner94
    Options
    I do Strength six days a week, followed by a long walk everyday. I find this to be a perfect blend of strength cardio for ME. What works for you maybe different. If you like to do Cardio focused routine and sprinkle in some strength that's fine too. None of it will matter if you're not on Calorie Deficit, though. If you want to lose the belly fat you need to eat fewer calories than you put out. Sometimes people who do long distance cardio like runners, bikers, swimmers can be super hungry all the time and thus making it tough to meet their calorie goals. Some people who lift weights are so focused on building muscle they eat too much and go over their calories. Some people prefer the long lean look you can get from running, some people the like the curvy and round look you can get from body building. Some people like an athletic balanced look. That is up to you and your genes. But if you can't manage your calories you're not going lose the Body Fat that covers everything up.

Really good points here. I like the long/lean look but I also am 5'5" with curvy hispanic genes... It's been a bit of a journey to find the right pattern for me. Thanks!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    swagoner94 wrote: »

Really good points here. I like the long/lean look but I also am 5'5" with curvy hispanic genes... It's been a bit of a journey to find the right pattern for me. Thanks!

It’s worth mentioning that genetics will have a big influence on your potential results and it’s a good thing to be realistic. Work to be the best ‘you’ that you can possibly be, rather than striving for the look of somebody with completely different genetics.

^So much truth. I'd love to have a lithe, lean marathoner's look, but I'm a short stocky curvy woman. It's never going to happen.

OP, I do walk every day because walking is my stress relief, but do dedicated "cardio" (running) 3 days a week and a full body lifting program 3 days a week. I find that to be a perfect balance.
  • swagoner94
    Options
    Thank you!! This is all so helpful. I appreciate you all :smile:
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Your struggle is why I love 9Round. I get strength training & cardio all in one & it only takes about 35 minutes a workout. Trying to juggle the two can be difficult at times.
  • betrishy
    betrishy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    JBApplebee wrote: »
    Your struggle is why I love 9Round. I get strength training & cardio all in one & it only takes about 35 minutes a workout. Trying to juggle the two can be difficult at times.

Does it get easier? I went to 9round today for the first time and it kicked my butt. I signed up but nervous about keeping up.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    betrishy wrote: »
    JBApplebee wrote: »

Does it get easier? I went to 9round today for the first time and it kicked my butt. I signed up but nervous about keeping up.

i can't speak to 9round specifically but yes, the more you do something the easier it gets. including things like kickboxing and 9round and all that fun stuff.