Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis MAY be helped by drinking baking soda

Options
JeromeBarry1
JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180425093745.htm

A daily dose of baking soda may help reduce the destructive inflammation of autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, scientists say.
They have some of the first evidence of how the cheap, over-the-counter antacid can encourage our spleen to promote instead an anti-inflammatory environment that could be therapeutic in the face of inflammatory disease, Medical College of Georgia scientists report in the Journal of Immunology.

Replies

• whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    What does that little box like thing mean next to the post? I never know what it is
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    It can also help constipation unintentionally if you really want to try this....
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    What does that little box like thing mean next to the post? I never know what it is

Do you mean this thing: 31j17f2bd67a.png

It means someone has flagged the post as either spam or abuse. 5 flags of the same kind and the post gets bumped to the moderators to look at. It's being used incorrectly here since it's only meant for hate speech, pron, or bot-style spam. Everything else is supposed to be reported rather than flagged.

Thanks for explaining,I had one of those by a post I made that wasn't even bad,wasn't sure what it was for
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I have RA. It would be so cool if baking soda was all I needed. I have a huge Costco sized bag in the pantry. Thanks for the link. <3
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    It can also help constipation unintentionally if you really want to try this....

^ True story.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I saw this. It looked somewhat interesting as a course of research, at the very least!
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Isn't it baking soda that people used to mix in a cup of water and drink it to make them burp?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Yes this is something I've done just make sure you don't use the arm and hammer or any other brand containing aluminum

This is something you’ve done? For what reason? Which brand?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    In reading the article, the alkaline baking soda triggered the stomach to produce more acid, and by doing so suppressed the spleen's immune response.

It has zero to do with the pH diet and its claims of eating foods to change your pH. In fact, the measured response of the stomach was to maintain the stomach's normal pH.

It's been a couple of days since I read it, but I think that was the hypothesis. Note: hypothesis. The results they had on something they did were in rats, and weren't directly related to this, they only hope it might lead to this.

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Baking soda or the flag button?
  • getupandgo65
    getupandgo65 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

Baking soda or the flag button?

3rr4ezpccr8z.gif

Hilarious;)

I just wanted to say that I am finding more and more "home remedies" do work. For me it's trial and error, but it's great finding something that takes care of the issue without going to the doc. I have a spider bite that spread out a bit larger than a quarter. I found out baking soda, made into a paste, is so helpful in clearing up the bite.