I regained 10 pounds....

Options
hippiedippieCOchick
hippiedippieCOchick Posts: 11 Member
edited May 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I gained weight due to college and stress my freshman year. 3 pounds a week for 2 weeks at one point! Feeling really self conscious and angry at myself. Any advice on getting back into loosing weight without feeling discouraged?

Replies

• ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    So did I, although for different reasons. So now I'm focusing on losing again before summer starts.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Set MFP to a sensible weekly rate of loss (if you only have the 10 lbs to lose I'd suggest 1/2 lb per week), weigh all solids, measure liquids, log meticulously using accurate database entries (you have very little room for error with a deficit of only 250 cals per day). Use a trending weight app to track your weight loss as that 1/2 lb can be very easily lost in the 'noise' of normal weight fluctuations, focusing on the trend over weeks, not days.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Just get back on track. You know what to do and have proven that you can do it. Don't beat yourself up over it. Take your time and get back to a healthy weight one step at a time. Good luck.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I regained almost 40 but I know how to take it back off :smiley: that's why I'm here, I know it works
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Options
    Drop the anger. A lot of people regain some weight. It is easy to do if you are not paying attention. You have caught on at a mere 10 lbs that you need to do something.
    Start with logging your food and drinks as accurately as you can so you can see where you might make changes.
    With just 10 pounds to lose you don't have to make drastic changes. Shave 250 calories off your current daily intake or exercise a bit more than you currently do.
    6 lbs in 2 weeks probably is some water retention not all fat gain. You could try watching your carb and sodium intake and drink more water if you'd like.
    Work on developing new tools to deal with stress.
    Get enough sleep.
    Be patient and postive.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Maintenance is a challenge for most people - don't worry! Be glad you caught it early. The 10lbs won't stick around too long.

Think about ways you can prevent it from happening again. What methods can you use to keep yourself accountable, even when life gets in the way?

I personally like to weigh-in every day and chart my weigh-ins on Libra (a weight trending app). Then at the end of each month I can assess if I've gained, lost or maintained and make the proper adjustments. Stepping on the scale each morning is a habit now, just like brushing my teeth. And it's my key for catching regain early.

Good luck!
  • can111
    can111 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I too am in that boat! Lost about 25 over 18 months, gained about 16 back in 4 months (Jan - April). I'm back at it: logging/weighing/measuring/pre-planning/NO sugar/exercising. Why oh why do i lose at a rate of about 1/2 per week, but gain at a rate of about 1 pound per week. NO FAIR!
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I log my calories and exercises on MFP. I've successfully lost weight. You will, too. I also log my daily weigh-in on Happy Scale app on my phone, which will generate a nice gentle graph that keeps me from freaking out when I gain or stall out. It's most important, though, to give yourself some credit for noticing that you're not where you want to be and you're taking action to reach a goal. No need to continue to be angry at yourself. Life happens. That's a fact. There's a reason why there's actually a thing called "The Freshman Ten". It's very common to gain weight while you adjust to the demands and stresses of college. In addition to tracking your calories, try to take a 20 to 30 minute walk when you can. It might help you to get outdoors and do some easy exercise, and it will help you handle your stress (or at least it does for me). Pat yourself on the back, and have patience!
  • pkiessig
    pkiessig Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Same! Just regained 10lbs after a breakup and stressful job, it's so disappointing :/. BUT....here's the thing, when I set the MFP back to my goal, I feel excited every day knowing I am on the track to losing instead of feelings like I failed. It's always going to be back and forth for me, so try to focus on empowering yourself and get back on the train with us! Everyone here is ahead of people who won't get off the couch :)!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Same boat, different reasons. I've taken four off so far. It happens. We rarely learn to do things without making a mistake before mastering them. Go easy on yourself.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,011 Member
    Options
    I gain weight most winters, and get motivated again in springtime, when I'm gardening and otherwise being a lot more naturally active without having to force myself.

This spring I got the HappyScale app - weighing daily with a trendline is helpful to me.