How many calories did I burn at this concert? Please help!

Options
I'm about 175 lbs and 5'3 and I just spend about four and a half hours at a concert. About an hour and a half of it was standing around whereas the rest included standing/jumping/singing (screaming haha)/and some walking.

How many calories do you think I burned? Thanks!!!

Replies

• kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I personally would consider concert attendance as part of a ‘lifestyle’ activity and would not try to account for it separately like you would for dedicated exercise. If you are over your calories for the day, so be it! I hope you had fun and had a memorable time!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    asv232471 wrote: »
    I'm about 175 lbs and 5'3 and I just spend about four and a half hours at a concert. About an hour and a half of it was standing around whereas the rest included standing/jumping/singing (screaming haha)/and some walking.

I'd add an extra hours walking (gives me about 200 cals) and call it good.
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Just standing up will probably burn around 250 calories compared to being sat down but it will depend on your normal activity levels whether that is extra or not.

For the dancing it will depend on the intensity, I know from my experience an hour at a gig can be as good as half an hour cardio easily.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont give myself extra calories for that.

besides, the alcohol i drink at concerts would offset it anyways lolololl
  • Lesscookies12
    Lesscookies12 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Don't count it it's normal physical movement good luck!! We are the same height and I started higher than you when I first started losing weight. Now I'm down 50 pounds.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    asv232471 wrote: »

Not enough to worry about it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    I am truly a sedentary person and I have faithfully logged my food for ten years. Only for those reasons I would add a couple hundred calories, since that would be way outside my normal activity. If you have any kind of regular job or go to school, this is about like that. If I were working, I probably wouldn't even log any extra, but since I absolutely know how much I can eat, I would.

Stuff like this is going to come up on a regular basis, and you'll have to figure out how you want to account for it (or not) as you go. I'd say if you are on-plan for the rest of the week, this kind of activity "buys" you a drink or a hot dog or one other snack while you're there.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I asked a similar question before, and got similar replies. i.e basically negligible.

However I took a beginner's salsa class every sunday that was 1.5 hours and and it was a lot of standing mixed in with light dancing, and I would log the class as 45-60 mins for the 1.5 hours depending on how active I felt I was and that would give me 131 calories to 175 under "ballroom dancing, light".

I think you could add in definitely some calories for the concert, and try base it off your hunger. If you gave yourself an extra 200 calories would you still feel famished, would u feel stuffed, or do you just want more calories to treat yourself.

• 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Question - did you consume any extra drinks or treats while attending this concert?
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Does food/drink consumed during vs before or after make a difference?

Food is food, it goes in the diary. If someone decides to have a drink at the concert or after, I feel like that is unrealated to if they burned more calories by moving around at the concert.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    kballsocc wrote: »
    Does food/drink consumed during vs before or after make a difference?

Food is food, it goes in the diary. If someone decides to have a drink at the concert or after, I feel like that is unrealated to if they burned more calories by moving around at the concert.

It doesn't matter if or when you eat or drink...not sure your point here.

OUR point was that a little extra movement in your day can allow you to have a snack. Not 1000 extra calories.

Just pick a number and go with it. We told you what we do. This is your choice and your experiment to run.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I wasn't clear with my question so the misunderstanding is probably my fault.
    Here's what I was getting at though, yes it makes no difference what time you may have consumed any extra calories. Whether it could be at the concert or after or before, no difference.
    The reason I asked was because if you consumed extra calories, it could have possibly wiped out and extra calories earned for the activity at the concert.
    I asked because when I attended a concert last I ate extra snacks and consumed extra drinks. So any calories I may have burnt dancing where likely wiped out by the extra food anyway.
    I have no idea if you ate extra, I was just wondering because it could have wiped out any extra earned calories.
    Fwiw I don't bother logging going to events. I consider it part of life.

I'm sorry if I caused confusion by the question. I was trying to point out that it might be a wash anyway so may not be worth worrying about.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Its negligible. But lets say you did walk/move to add an additional 2500-3000 steps. Its not considered cardio caliper calorie burn so maybe up to 100 cals. A little more for voluntary movements dancing around, waving your hands etc.

Do you have an activity/step tracker by chance? If so it would give calories if you it were outside of your general activity level.

My next question would be, are you more tired the next day, perhaps moving less in lieu of being a little more active at the concert? You might move less so the extra calories burned will off set through reduced NEAT the next day. Just something to think about.

I am not sure the plan for these calories as in you are on a lower calorie goal in general and needing to work in a treat or what. But if you are generally hungry, certainly eat something.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    There is an mfp entry for dancing. The last concert I went to was a 3+ hour marathon of dancing and singing. Never sat down the entire time. I was exhausted and sweating afterward. I logged it as 2 hours of dancing.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    kballsocc wrote: »
    Not why sure why you are telling me it's my experiment to run. I already have a system.

I'm also advocating that the O.P will get a 100-200+ extra calories.

@100_PROOF_ asked about extra treats during the concert, my point was why does during the concert matter.

Lastly for some people, 100-200 calories extra can be a big difference for people with small calories allotments, which is why I chimed in to take a small calorie allotments instead of ignoring any extras.

Well, unless the OP weighed, packed, and ate only his/her own food at the concert, I'd make the argument that those extra 100-200 calories would protect against any logging accuracy errors.